Cold, Cold

opaul

Stay warm my friends!!
Went out to feed the birds today and it is cold. Here in NC the low tonight is going to be in the mid-teens. Now that is cold for NC and the forecast for the next week is about the same.
No work for me this week in the knife shop, I can't heat my space with a kerosene heater in this temperature. Dang, I knew I should have put up insulation when I enclosed my lean to.

It is freaking cold here too. The last week has been in the low teens for highs and tonight is supposed to be -11. That is really cold and below normal for us here in Kearney Missouri.

10 here in Berlin township Mi , nights 5 to 9 below . Happy I put a wood furnace in the shop last year heats it up nicely.

Actual temps not predicted to get out of the 20's for the rest of the week at night, now we are talking 24-29* but with wind chill of 8 - 12 mph out of the North. They are predicted temps to be anywhere from 15* - 12*. That is way to darn cold for Florida!!

Just saw the 7 day weather report for Raleigh, NC. Temps not above freezing during the day and down in the low teens!
I'm ready for some warm weather.
This does bring up a good point to ponder. I keep a get home bag in my truck and have one for my wife. Bags include extra socks, hiking boots, weather specific clothes and quick eat food stuffs (along with other goodies and hardware). Also another bag with jumper cables, emergency blankets, etc.

-26F here in Great Falls, MT. when I came to the shop at 5am. If the weather forecast is to be believed, I might just have to break out the shorts and flip-flops in the next couple of days :)......... they are saying later this week we'll be in the 30s! Since I'm on the mend, and feeling better, I'm gona fire up the forging shop today, and see what my body will let me do.

Last year I went to Florida in February. It was 85 degrees. Do you have any cold weather gear? ;)

Ty cold weather gear here is retiring the flip flops and short, put on the long pants and most time I wear a long sleeve shirt as a jacket!! I have a couple of heavy jackets but when y0u see me bring them out, it has gotten cold. Its not bad here today, except for the wind. It is up to 36* and a wind of 13 - 15 mph. That puts at about 26. The high today is not predicted to go above 38* with even higher winds tonight.

The one good thing about Florida we usually only have cold weather a few days at a time!! Then it warms up along comes the rain and the temperatures drop again. These past few years have been strange, cold when it is not supposed to be and hotter than normal!

I remember about 24 yrs ago I had bought an old house and had it moved to the property we were living on at the time. I had to finish digging the footings. It rained and the temperature went to 12 degrees and wind index drove it done to -10. The Christmas shut down was the only time I had to get the footings dug. So I suited up in my insulated coveralls, double gloves, (cotton inside and leather outside) and went out to dig footings. The ground was froze nearly a foot deep. All I could do was cut the lines for the footing, then break out the center with a pick ax. Then shovel out the center. After an hour, I had shucked the coveralls as I was getting way too hot. I only got about 12' dug in that hour. I said the heck with this and went by the firewood pile, grabbed an armload of wood and sit inside by the fire!!

Another side to this story. My in-laws had an old house that had belonged to her Grandmother, it had been broken up into three units. It was and off grade and had only been skirted on the North side. It had no insulation and when freezing was expected the tenants were supposed to let the water drip. She paid the water bill and she said she would rather pay that than to fix plumbing!
One guy had rented all the units for his large family, so when it was predicted to have this cold spell, I told him to be sure and let the faucets run, a small stream about the size of a pencil, as a drip would not do it for this cold! He calls me the first morning as says I got no water everything froze last night! So I told him nothing I can do till it warms enough to thaw out all that old galvanized pipes. Three days later it warmed enough for the pipes to began thawing.

I fixed 27 busted pipes under that old house. This fellar was a skinflint so he left the heat off at night! So you can guess what happened. Some pipes even inside the house, such as water lines under the sink and to the back of the toilet. One toilet broke the tank and after that I never had to tell them again about the water!!

Went to town yesterday...-24...didnt have any"real" cold weather stuff on...just a leather jacket...then discovered a friend in the walmart parking lot with a battery that wouldn't start. I knew what was wrong because I had to help his wife with that same battery 3 months earlier. He had stripped a terminal and had rigged up a screwy bolt to hold it together. It stripped and the day of their vacation I was fixing her battery...got it running and said, "Make sure you get a new battery before the cold weather hits..."

So there I am yesterday evening...no gloves, light jacket, and -24. No dice...we had to call AAA. So my wife and I took his wife the 36 miles to their house while he waited for AAA inside Walmart. I was irritated at them for not replacing the battery and at me for thinking I could go out in severe weather without being prepared. My hands ached for an hour...

When I first went to help them yesterday she would not look me in the eye...when I saw the goofy battery I remembered and knew why she was avoiding me...lol. I didn't say anything...times are tough up on the hi-line for a lot of folks..

Today? -27(we're 40 miles from Canada)...pretty much no one is able to fire up their rigs...I didn't plug in mine last night...we helped at the youth new years party at church...then had a long brownout...then a black out...so when power was restored we finished cleaning at about 1:45 AM...drove home walked in and hit the hay...forgot the block heater...oops...

about 8 or so years ago we had a blizzard that was -63 windchill....then it stayed -20ish for two weeks...Thought I learned my lesson then....lol

I can't even imagine having to put a heater in a car engine so it will crank. How does it work. Do you take out the oil dip stick and put in a heated dip stick?

I can't even imagine having to put a heater in a car engine so it will crank. How does it work. Do you take out the oil dip stick and put in a heated dip stick?
Close...they screw a heater into a threaded hole in the block down where the oil is...A lot of times I think cars don't start for two reasons in the cold...the batteries are weaker and the engines are nice and tight at -30...lol. If I plug in I can start in any temp.

It only looks like everyone in Montana is driving an electric vehicle....all those plug ends hanging out the front end....;)

God Lord it would kill me now with those kind of temps. Nope you keep em Ted, I just sit here in Florida and complain about the teens this week!! Extreme cold or hot will show a bad battery anytime.

You know I was born and raised the first 18yrs. of my life right in the heart of Nebraska. I remember being prepared for winter. I remember my first car was a 65 Mustang, bought in the tail end of summer. Come winter I didn't have enough money to put a decent set of tires on it. So after the first trip where I did a 360 and ended up in the ditch facing the opposite direction I had just come from I decided I had to do something.

I went out to my Dads materials shed and got two 95lb. bags of portland cement. Opened the trunk and put one over each rear tire. I drove it all winter like that. You know a lot of it is just knowing the limits of your vehicle, and that six sense you develop after driving in it for a while. Take it easy and you can do alot of things folks that have the vehicles to it in can't!
The most scared I ever been was driving 12 miles in a total white out! I had no way to stop (had no place to get out of it), I slowed to a crawl and for 12 miles I wasn't sure I was in the road or the ditch and praying no one was broke down in front of me.

Test for you guys......:)
Where did the phrase "Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey" originate??

It only looks like everyone in Montana is driving an electric vehicle....all those plug ends hanging out the front end....;)

LOVE IT! :)

Montana is one of only 9 states that factory block heaters are provided in every new vehicle. I've seen it so cold here that vehicles wouldn't move, even if they did start, because the gear oil in the differential(s) was nearly solid. Last time it happened to me, we had a week where the high was -35F, and lows at night were -50F....... NOTHING was moving! :)

It's actually unseasonably warm (and dry) here in Colorado. Warm enough that I ordered concrete for my new shop pad for Thursday.
High 40's Wednesday and Thursday, 50's Friday and Saturday, and 40's again all next week.

Back