Coal Iron Works forging presses

Gene, you might also check out Riverside Machine. I don't have either, but know people who have both presses. The Riverside Machine is cheaper, but I can't speak for quality of either.

Gene I do not have that press but I have done research and preparation to try and get one next year. I settled on the Coal Iron press too I like that it is turn key, has all steel frame, comes with the combo drawing die, free shipping and runs on 110. I have seen presses in N.C. I believe that use wood in their frames for the same price or a little higher. I hope you get one soon so you can talk me into it later...

Following this. What I like about the Coal is the ability to access the dies from 3 sides, because of the C frame design.

My good friend and fellow maker Jim Coffee has one and loves it. He's all but stopped using his 25lb little giant because of how useful the press is.

Myself,,, I would go with Riverside. The dies from Coal are expensive. They look pinned from the inside. It looks like I could make dies for it if I had a knee mill. Uncle al's just slide in. If you cant make dies for that machine there is a problem. As far as 110 vac go. A change to 220 vac is nothing.

Myself,,, I would go with Riverside. The dies from Coal are expensive. They look pinned from the inside. It looks like I could make dies for it if I had a knee mill. Uncle al's just slide in. If you cant make dies for that machine there is a problem. As far as 110 vac go. A change to 220 vac is nothing.

That's true too 120VAC to 220VAC is a matter of a breaker as long as you have a dedicated circuit.

Thanks for all the input.

I'm pretty sure I'll go with the Coal Iron, just not sure which one now, 16 ton or 25. 220 wouldn't be a problem and I could build a frame on wheels so I could move it out of the way when I'm not using it. Or rearrange the shop to make a permanent place for it.

Making dies for it wouldn't be a problem as I have a milling machine. I've already got some ideas on dies to make.

I am considering getting the 16 ton press from them. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on these presses?

Gene, I have zero experience with anything forge wise, but I have met Andy. I met him when I took a class from Jim Minnick. Andy is a great person and I would have no hesitation in recommending him and his products.

Guess what showed up today.

I took an hour or so and messed around with it on a wrought iron bolt and a small piece of left over damascus. My shoulders and arms are going to love this thing. I've got a billet ready to forge that is the same size I've made before by hand. I kept track of the time to make it, so I'll compare that to what it takes with the press.

OOOOOOOOOOOOh...Jealousy ensues....That is next in my forge...I will holler at you in a year Gene to see if you still like it.

Well,,,,,,,
16 or 25 ton?
Your lucky. I'd be glad to have either. I know it would end up like my LG. Got a 25lb and wish I had a 50lb. lol,,, Congratulations!!!!

16 ton, ordered Feb. 22nd.

I'm working on a billet tonight of 8 layers of 1/8" 1084 and 7 layers of 1/16" 15N20, 2" X 4". Took 40 minutes from when I put it in the forge to this.

It took longer to recut and clean the pieces up than it did to forge it.

Back