Coal Iron Works forging presses

Nice looking. Is the 16 Ton big enough for your purpose or should you have gotten larger?

So far, it is doing everything I want it to. I have never used a press before, so at some point I may wish for more, but then I would have to upgrade my forge, buy a metal cutting band saw and get a surface grinder. I'm not sure I have ever found a rabbit hole this deep before.

Based off of what my 3 ton manual Fly Press will do I should think 19 tons is sufficient for all but industrial scale stuff.

Here are the first blades off the press. A raindrop pattern, a somewhat ladder pattern, both 360 layers, and a 1095/wrought iron san-mai blade.

Beautiful!! If those are the first can't wait to see the 10th!! Very nice!!

Gene they turned out great. In no time it will be old hat. Time to work on a "W"!!! Step into the black hole. Let the fun begin.

PS: canister time!

Last edited:
I would never stop making Damascus if I had that press I could be a little jealous. I pulled off 13 layers by hand this morning but those are just remarkable Gene.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I've got plans to make some chain saw chain canister damascus. I tried it once by hand and failed, so hopefully the press improves that. I'll have to wait on that as I have 10 or so knives on order that I need to finish first.

Back