Clip Point w/ DM

backtines

I was real happy with the way this one was coming out until the end.. I was putting an edge on the blade , and i got too close to the bolsters , and i hit em. Upon trying to clean them up , I then the hit the ricaso with the belt too... The only way I felt I can salvage this knife was to cut that swale right through the plunge and ricaso . And then to top it all off, it threw my logo out of center.. ( Thats a good reason to etch my logo instead of stamping it . Once you stamp in that mark , your committed to it being in the center. If I would have etched it , I could have put it anywhere I wanted at the end of the job..

Needless to say , I was building this knife for a guy, but truthfully I really didn't want to sell it to him because of those "Design Modifications ". I had just finished the knife and brought it upstairs to show my wife and we had a few friends over and one of the guys fell in love with it . He outright said " Mike , I gotta have this knife " So I sold it to him .. LOL ! I guess it worked out ok in the end , but truthfully in my heart , I wasn't really happy with my job . I know I could have done a better..

Anyway , thanks for looking and listening to me whine..

It's still a "looker" Mike.
You never know when disaster will strike but I found that tape, lots of tape, is your freind right to the very end. Sometimes even money can't make you feel better but I bet you learned something.

Rudy

you know you're doing something right when your seconds are snapped up....like a double stamped coin, it becomes a valuable oddity...

Mikey,
Once again a design modification comes through like a rose! :biggrin: Sweet looking knife, I really like the way it looks in shape and proportion!

By the way? I think your mail box is full again? P.M. me please.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Last edited:
If this is what a knife you didn't want to sell looks like, you can feel free to send all your duds to me I'll take care of them for you.
it looks great, I really like the burl you have on it. Is it redwood?

Hey guys , thanks for all the nice comments..
Cameron , the wood is redwood burl..
Rudy, I actually didn't use any tape during the sharpening procedure.. I guess I should have taped up those bolsters.

That's another thing I need to do better is devise a better way for sharpening from scratch ( another topic )
I was also thinking of leaving a little more meat in the ricaso so when I'm working on the bolsters I won't have to worry about hitting the choir as much.

Thanks again guys, but I really think I'm gonna make the move to etching instead of stamping . Like I said before . Once I stamp the blade , I'm now married to it being the center . Don't like it ! I think etching the blade at the end would prolly be a better move for me.

Thanks again guys .. on a side note , whats the name of the guy or place to purchase stencils for an etching machine ??

Nice work and save, Mikey. I think it looks great!

I seem to always mess something up right at the end. Drives me crazy.

Nice work and save, Mikey. I think it looks great!

I seem to always mess something up right at the end. Drives me crazy.

Thanks Steve , you're so right .. those mess ups do come at the end.. I just got off the phone with Josh Dabney and he gave me a few tips that were looking at me right in the face the whole time but never saw them .. Lets see what happens on the next one .

I know that feeling of messing up, being new into knife making I have had several so far that got remodified from its original state, however like your knife they worked out in the end and someone bought them. What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger and in this case what doesn't destroy the steel will turn into a good knife.

Thanks again guys for the kindness.. That knife is in new owners hands now . so now i move on to the next one..

Back