Christmas KITH Questions, PICS & Updates

So here it goes off to the glue up spot out in the cold out side.
Decided to try a new idea and groove the guard before gluing so if I screwed it up could make a new guard. Lol
Went with patriotic theme for spacers and a bit of nostalgic copper and leather. Monday should be the final product pics. Fingers crossed.

uploadfromtaptalk1448764520354.jpg

Cold? In Oregon? Has not been over 32 for three days. 15 degrees at 7 this morning. Not much of a brake for a few days. Or a week.

I'm about done, just sweating the small stuff now. I'll post a pic of mine this evening. Starting on leather today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 35
Here's my entry, finally done. Sheath is cut, tooled, and dyed. If it dries enough, I'll stitch it tomorrow. Anyway, here's the specs and my answer to Darrin's challenge of trying something new.

First time with this pattern. (inspired by a Randy Haas knife, with his permission)
First tapered tang.
First mosaic pins. (from someone at KC show, can't remember name)
First fiber liners. (from Pop's at KC show)
First jigged bone scales. (from Pop's at KC show)
First peened bolsters. (304 SS)
Blade steel is A8 tool steel at 59-60rc. (very similar to D2, IMO, known for it's toughness, has some chromium, but not enough to be called SS)
Sorry, I forgot to measure the length, but its the perfect midsize hunter or EDC.
Edit: I just noticed I had a length of 8" overall on my pattern.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Last edited:
Im out. Screwed up the flippin guard and not able to replace in time. Sorry yall.
That's too bad, Those things happen though(I have piles of those screw ups!)
Here's my entry, finally done. Sheath is cut, tooled, and dyed. If it dries enough, I'll stitch it tomorrow. Anyway, here's the specs and my answer to Darrin's challenge of trying something new.

First time with this pattern. (inspired by a Randy Haas knife, with his permission)
First tapered tang.
First mosaic pins. (from someone at KC show, can't remember name)
First fiber liners. (from Pop's at KC show)
First jigged bone scales. (from Pop's at KC show)
First peened bolsters. (304 SS)
Blade steel is A8 tool steel at 59-60rc. (very similar to D2, IMO, known for it's toughness, has some chromium, but not enough to be called SS)
Sorry, I forgot to measure the length, but its the perfect midsize hunter or EDC.

View attachment 57311 View attachment 57312 View attachment 57313 View attachment 57314 View attachment 57315

WOW! That's awesome! I love it! I knew you'd get'er done! what type of jigged bone did you use?

I did it! Twice!

Like Daniel, I joined Bladeforums KITH again this year as well, so I made twins.

.118 AEB-L, HT by Peter's at 61 Rc, 3.25" blade, 7.5" overall, tapered tang, G10 bolsters, liners and spacers, nickel silver pins and cocobolo scales. For the challenge I made my first attempts at fully lined leather sheaths.
hK0tVBc.jpg

qyk8O3t.jpg

geGGJmo.jpg

hCl1EiY.jpg

Here is my entry here. I can tell them apart. Can you? :9:
Hfmkbj5.jpg

Chris

Anthony and Chris very nice work!!! I just finished stitching the sheath, will sharpen it tomorrow after work and take pics.

Wow, gentlemen! That is some extremely fine work. Every last one of you are just brimming with talent. I still need to take some final pics of my folder submission and get them posted. Not much longer to wait now. This has been so fun following along with everyone's builds. I hope you've all enjoyed it as much as I have. Can't wait for the drawing.

I agree Brandant! I went back an looked at the pics this morning and there's some good stuff here. I'm kind of paranoid about mine, I don't think I've ever really had another "maker" examine a knife of mine. I showed my friction folder to Calvin and Justin at KC, but that's it. Mine's not perfect, but then again I don't think I'll ever make one that I can call perfect, there's always something.

That being said, I would like it if the maker that ends up with mine would give me a review. You won't hurt my feelings, I know I've still got a lot to learn and get better at. I need some brutal honesty, so don't hold back, it'll only help me in the future.

I agree Brandant! I went back an looked at the pics this morning and there's some good stuff here. I'm kind of paranoid about mine, I don't think I've ever really had another "maker" examine a knife of mine. I showed my friction folder to Calvin and Justin at KC, but that's it. Mine's not perfect, but then again I don't think I'll ever make one that I can call perfect, there's always something.

That being said, I would like it if the maker that ends up with mine would give me a review. You won't hurt my feelings, I know I've still got a lot to learn and get better at. I need some brutal honesty, so don't hold back, it'll only help me in the future.
I feel the same way!

I haven't made a "perfect" knife yet. doesn't mean I haven't tried though. I think that is one of the distinction here is each and every knife the maker is trying to do their best. doesn't mean there will be no sign of the maker left though. I like seeing that a quality knife has evidence that someone made it with sweat and toil and not just spit out of a automated machine.

We are also learning from each blade we make. I have my first fix blade and my first folder and cringe when I compare them to what I'm making today! Ha

cant wait for the drawing

Erik

Last edited:
Here she is, my entry for the 2015 Christmas Kith

7in Nakiri ( 6-5/8" cutting edge)
AEB-L @ Rc61
Distal taper from the handle to the tip
Black Olive wood handle (from J Doyle) with black and white liners
Mosaic pin
kydex blade cover

In the spirit of this year's KITH, to stretch ourselves, I did a rounded spine as well as a rounded choil. Rounding the spine all the way to the scales without it being noticable was a learning experience. I also wanted the balance point to be exactly at the heel of the blade, and I'm proud that I managed it. It's something I've been working on.

Nakiri side.jpghandle with liners.jpg

Last edited:
I love it John! You may have already said, but what steel did you use? By 7", do you mean 7" cutting surface, or 7" overall length? I just tried home processing/butchering a deer for the first time a couple weeks ago and I think something like this would have been perfect. I think this is a knife that will see some use for sure.

Back