cheapest shop air cleaner around

I'm still kicking around trying to catch up on older posts after joining last week. This is a great idea; thanks for sharing!cool 1

Tracy,

This is awesome! I am going to Lowes ASAP to get a couple. Will work perfect in my rigged shop:D

Great idea Boss.

Chris

Can't believe I missed this thread. Great idea. Couple more items to add to my hardware store shopping list.

Erin

I have this down in The Dungeon, too, and I tape a cheaper filter on the outside of the better filter to catch the larger particles.
Then I just vacuum it out after use.

Similar, related, same thing only different.
I have a ceiling fan over my forge (before I had a box fan). In the summer I have it drawing the hot air up (opposite from normal use) and in the winter I switch it to blow down. This spreads the heat across the floor and helps heat the shop. In the summer it draws the heat up and away from the work area. I do have a 12' ceiling and so works better than a typical low ceiling for getting the heat away.

Another great idea. Why doesnt my brain think this way:confused::D

Similar, related, same thing only different.
I have a ceiling fan over my forge (before I had a box fan). In the summer I have it drawing the hot air up (opposite from normal use) and in the winter I switch it to blow down. This spreads the heat across the floor and helps heat the shop. In the summer it draws the heat up and away from the work area. I do have a 12' ceiling and so works better than a typical low ceiling for getting the heat away.

Nwac

I have 3 of those in my shop! I bought some aluminum angle iron (is that right?) and attached it to the sides of my fans to make a slot I can slide my filters into on the draw side of the fan. It saves me a ton on duct tape and change outs are a breeze!

Keeping with the No Weld theme, I picked up some parts today
and made a No Weld Air Cleaner.

This is a great idea. Thanks BossDog.

Attachments

• NWAC.jpg
    NWAC.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 75
Simply Awesome. Great idea!
Think you started something here Boss.
Maybe a "Best Fan Idea" contest? You are in the lead as far as I can tell!
Dozier

ps. nice mod by Mr. Keith too
note; I'm sure Jeff Foxworthy could get a joke out of this too.

Last edited:
Keeping with the No Weld theme, I picked up some parts today
and made a No Weld Air Cleaner.

This is a great idea. Thanks BossDog.

even better. I am converting mine next time I find some of that angle bracket shelving post..

The furnace filter approach will take out the visible dust making the shop air look much cleaner and is great idea. but most of dust is much smaller than 5 microns and will go right through the filter. The body has a problem getting rid of dust smaller than 2.5 microns. This topic has been discussed in great detail in several woodworking forums.

Some good info here... http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/DocsOrders.cfm

You should still use a high quality respirator when grinding.

ernie

Man I need to pick up one of those M3 7000 respirators, the micarta I have been working may have been the cause for my current bought of strep

Thank you for this great idea. My workshop is a spare room in my house, so anything that helps reduce dust (especially from Micarta) is greatly appreciated!

Great idea. I believe a fellow knife making friend of mine has this setup. He works out of a smaller tool shed, so he needs all the help he can get.

My dad's got a few squirrel cage blowers from his days in HVAC that I was thinking of making into an air cleaner, but this might not be a bad way to go either.

As Clancy Noted, You still need to wear a good Respirator, When you grind Micarta it releases formaldehyde,
And that stuff will Mess you up!!

The Box fan filter is still a great way to pull some of this crap out of the air in your shop! The dust can hang and linger in the air for days!

Stay safe!
Laurence

www.westsidesharpening.com

Sorry guys and tracey but I dont agree with this system , I bought a king 1hp dust collector and the felt bag was about 5 micron .I was wiping off very fine dust off my computer every day because it didnt work well . I then bought a king 1 micron filter Yes it was expensive but so I chose breathing was more important. Some things you cant go the cheap route. I am not here to be mean just honest truth if its an approved air filter system I am all for it. Kellyw

Back