cheapest shop air cleaner around

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
Take a typical 20" box fan. These are normally around 12 or 15 bucks.

Buy a high quality 20"x20" furnace filter. There are all kinds of furnace filters. Normally there are good, better, best. I tend to grab the mid range ones. (these are often on sale or clearanced out with line changes and I buy several when that happens)

Using duct tape, tape the furnace filter to the box fan (air entering the filter, then through the fan side). Just run a piece of tape all around the edge. If the cord gets in the way, punch a hole or run it between the filter and the fan. It depends on the model of the fan.

Hang it up and turn it on low. I have it turn on when I turn on the lights to my shop. I have two of them and when I get going grinding micarta or other dusty item, I turn them both on full blast and it cleans the air up pretty quickly.

The fan will last 3 or 4 years and then I get a new one. Look for filters on sale.

One of those does a much better job then the $120 air cleaner I have hanging next to it.

Thanks for this info! I'll have to do this!!! (My shop is in our basement, which is about 20 ft from my bedroom... it gets dusty everywhere.

box_fan.jpg

I do this and it does work great!
I was surprised at how well it worked. I would locate mine by the grinder to catch the dust as it comes off. In the summer I just wheel the grinder outside.

Great tip Bossdog.

That is a great idea. I am going to put a couple of those as I set up my new shop. Thanks for the tip, I would have never thought of it.

That's genius! I'll be making one or two of these for sure! Thanks for the tip!

Holy Crap! I have about 3 of those fans just kicking around in the garage. I have been looking for an air cleaner for about a year now. That is a great idea! I think I will be making one of those this weekend! Thanks

Tracy, would these filters here work for this?: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/20x20x1-Standard-Capacity-Pleated-Filter/dp/B00237E7PM/ref=pd_sbs_hg_9"]Amazon.com: 20x20x1 Standard Capacity MERV 8 Pleated Air Filter (Case of 6): Home Improvement[/ame]

$35 and free shipping for a 6 pack seems like a good deal to me, being close to $7 for each one. And it filters to 5 microns. Unless, 5 microns is too small and it would clog too quickly etc.

Tracy, would these filters here work for this?: Amazon.com: 20x20x1 Standard Capacity MERV 8 Pleated Air Filter (Case of 6): Home Improvement

$35 and free shipping for a 6 pack seems like a good deal to me, being close to $7 for each one. And it filters to 5 microns. Unless, 5 microns is too small and it would clog too quickly etc.

too much. Get them on sale at a home or hardware store. it's fall, they always go on sale nearly every week this time of year some where. $3 to $4 is all you need to spend. 5 microns is about right. They will get dusty quick depending on your shop but you can blow them out often and reuse them several times.

Now that is just too damn cool. Why is it that so many of the best ideas are dead simple and you just couldn't see the answer right in front of you. Thanks Tracy.2thumbs

I have 3 of those in my shop! I bought some aluminum angle iron (is that right?) and attached it to the sides of my fans to make a slot I can slide my filters into on the draw side of the fan. It saves me a ton on duct tape and change outs are a breeze!

WOW this idea is beautiful in it's simplicity! I have all of those things around the house - I'm going to make one this week! I have been resorting to a painter's mask lately - very cloistering if you wear glasses too ;) .

I made a couple of these myself. All parts from Lowes. The fans were $16 each and I bought a few lengths of galvanized angle and some sheet metal screws to build the filter slots. I found a box of 24 filters for $20 on ebay. I have one unit in my shop that keeps down the airborne dust (though it is still important wear a respirator when working) and one in my basement gym (which gets a bit dusty at times). I've been using these for the last four months or so... and they've been working wonderfully. 2thumbs

This is a great idea that deserves a BUMP. :D

Erin
4400036042_fb1abda26f_o.jpg

Back