Chamfering Tubing?

James Terrio

I have a counter-sink bit that does a really nice job easing the corners of holes in the tang for pins, bolts etc. It knocks off the burrs easily and makes a nice smooth transition. But it chatters and leaves an ugly finish when I try to use it the same way to chamfer thong tubes.

What gives? Do I need one with more, smaller "flutes" (not sure if that's the right word) or what? I want my thong tubes to look nice and clean and not have a sharp corner on the inside.

Thanks for any tips!

I use a counter sink and then clean it up with a little cone-shaped diamond point of the same approximate angle. I find that the counter sink cuts smoother if I use it in a hand drill at very low speed, but the dimaond point makes it a non-issue.

I have a two flute countersink that I built a knurled handle for, and do it by hand. Just a couple of turns and it leaves a smooth, clean chamfer. If I remember correctly, it's an "F-12" countersink from Enco.

To flare the tubing I use a Field point from an arrow, I chuck it up in the drill and go pretty fast. At first it would take just a bit of finishing but the point is so polished now that its smooth as butter. To make the hole I firs drill the hole and then get the bit that is 2 sizes larger and run it in just until the taper of the point is flush. Might not be the best way but I had everything and it worked

I'm with Ed I do it by hand, only takes a couple twists and do it at some point of the final hand sanding the handle. I use the same tool for chamfering brass when reloading.

To flare the tubing I use a Field point from an arrow, I chuck it up in the drill and go pretty fast. At first it would take just a bit of finishing but the point is so polished now that its smooth as butter. To make the hole I firs drill the hole and then get the bit that is 2 sizes larger and run it in just until the taper of the point is flush. Might not be the best way but I had everything and it worked

I would love to see a tutorial of this. Thats an awesome idea!!!

Cratex might work. I honestly haven't tried it yet for that purpose, but It might be an option. I love that stuff... just wish it wasn't so pricey.

Back