Ceramic tumbling media, how to?

Lerch

Hi guys

Well i just bought some ceramic tumbling media off of ebay and I had a quick question for anyone who has used it on knife blades

When i tumble the blade in the media do i need to have any kind of lubricant (water, oil) in the tumbler with the media?

I am getting ready to start on a bunch of tactical style knives and my plan was to bead blast them and then tumble them for a finish that would resist scratching in a kydex sheath better

thanks
steve

k, thanks guys!!

I was wondering, i didnt know if some kind of oil was needed or not, thanks for the info!!

thanks
steve

not to steal the thread but where do you get the tumbler from? I have seen several in peoples shop picture but have yet to find one when I search.

It is a copy cat of a RCBS tumbler, the company is called smart reloader and i fully expect it to break very quickly, honestly

Okay im trying this again today, i ordered in 20lbs of ceramic media from ebay and it showed up today, i have a blade in it right now with soap and water. I will most likely be buying one of the harbor frieght industrial tumblers as i expect this one to break any minute, we just havent had any luck with them when tumbling ammunition brass so i really dont think it will hold up

though i tried it the other day with 40lbs of stainless steel #4 shot and it held up for about 4hrs so maybe it does better with a heavier load in it

we will see in a couple hours

thanks
steve

okay this is after 2hrs in the media, crappy pic due to being on my iphone but at least its somehting

im really liking the finish, it for sure has the mottled dull look i am wanting, and as a bonus since this was a assembled knife (my elmax knife from my elk hunt this year) i stone washed the handle as well and was very happy with the results!!!

photo5.jpg

thanks
steve

Back