Ceramic Platen Liner

Guys,
I'm not sure if it's the right size, but Woodcraft sells magnets similar to the ones used on the base of a magnetic dial caliper. They have a "switch" for engaging/disengaging the grip. Pretty handy.

It hasn't come up yet but you will get static shocks when you use a ceramic platen. It is basically a VanDeGraff generator. Use laundry static reduction spray - any brand. Give a quick spray to the wheels and inside of your belt and it really knocks the static shocks down.

Guys,
I'm not sure if it's the right size, but Woodcraft sells magnets similar to the ones used on the base of a magnetic dial caliper. They have a "switch" for engaging/disengaging the grip. Pretty handy.

There's a Woodcraft around the corner - I'll check it out.

Thanks

It hasn't come up yet but you will get static shocks when you use a ceramic platen. It is basically a VanDeGraff generator. Use laundry static reduction spray - any brand. Give a quick spray to the wheels and inside of your belt and it really knocks the static shocks down.

Ahh, gotcha...would have discovered the whole shock thing sooner or later cool 1 Good info, thanks

All that magnetic holder at texas knife is is three ceramic magnets between two ferrous bars, with wood around it, held together with pins. I bet you could make one yourself for under $5.

Just get two of these ($2) http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97504
Steal a little handle material (or other scrap wood laying around), some 1/8" mild steel, couple pieces of brass rod for pins, and a little epoxy/glue.

Mike, that's a great idea. Something not as large as what I have now - really frustrating to put so much time and effort into a knife only to have it pick up metal shavings etc.

Thanks!

BC

Last edited:

I dunno - once I get used to their rhythm I kind of like the pretty purple color of the sparks. :)

As to the magnet - I use the same one from TKS, and I like it. I haven't noticed that my O1 blades get too magnetized, but I only use it for initial ricasso finishing. It's all hand held from there on out. I never thought about it before but I have a bunch of large rare-earth magnets I pulled out of some old computer storage years ago. They're very powerful - you wouldn't want to get your finger between the magnet and what it wants to stick to... I bet they'd work too. I'll give one of them away to the first person to ask for it. I'd be curious to learn if they have any useful value.

I dunno - once I get used to their rhythm I kind of like the pretty purple color of the sparks. :)

As to the magnet - I use the same one from TKS, and I like it. I haven't noticed that my O1 blades get too magnetized, but I only use it for initial ricasso finishing. It's all hand held from there on out. I never thought about it before but I have a bunch of large rare-earth magnets I pulled out of some old computer storage years ago. They're very powerful - you wouldn't want to get your finger between the magnet and what it wants to stick to... I bet they'd work too. I'll give one of them away to the first person to ask for it. I'd be curious to learn if they have any useful value.

I would like to try one...Let me know. thank's jeff

I made one of the wooden covered Texas Knife Supply magnets and I took pictures. I'll post a new thread for a tutorial.

Back