Carver Set - Madrone Burl and Walnut

Meridian Blades

Moderator - Knife Maker
Took some time in getting this one done. I went with Madrone burl for the main box sides, bottom and cradles, and used walnut for the pillow, the poor mans dovetails and crotch for the lid.

Theres just Ren wax on the handles. Hard to capture the true coloring and figure on this wood with my camera, but you get the idea.

The rest of the WIP is here....
http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?17860-Lathe-WIP

x-1.jpg

x1.jpg

x2.jpg

x3.jpg

x4.jpg

Larry, that is absolutely beautiful!! That crotch walnut top is amazing along with all the work you put into this!

Thanks guys.......I gave this to him today. He gets married next Saturday, so it all worked out. All the guys from work were there, and everyone was asking me what the "Y" shaped thingy was on fork. Too bad I didn't invent that gizmo. Anyways thanks for lookin. Larry

Larry,
There just isn't anything better than a custom hand made gift. This one is way above and beyond!!!! Wade

Nice work, but.......

That lumber should be on a few knives. I don't know if I could bring myself to use it on a box.

Rudy

Great job!

Did you fabricate the fork? Or were you able to find a vendor for that. I know several supply houses carry "carving forks" but I haven't seen any that are as substantial as yours or with the rest, for that matter.

Once again, Beautiful Job!!!

Bob

Thanks guys (Wade, Rudy, Art, Bob)
Bob I bought those blanks at woodcraft. I didnt get a lot of notice, so I figured why not something different. Not a "shotgun" wedding but nobody from work really knew til the last minute. Rudy, I agree and I did get some stabilized. Boy that stuff sure is hard. Some of the hardest American burl Ive worked with. Great colors too. I screwed up the lid on the first box.... So that will get cut up for scales. Real nice figure in there.

Thanks Larry

Larry - I found the carving set blanks at Woodcraft as you suggested. I am concerned, though, that the tangs only protrude from the ferrule about 1" - 1 1/2". I am just concerned that that might not be quite enough to give a really solid connection. Did you see this as a problem? You made the handles on your set even longer than I plan to so leverage is even more of an issue (if it is an issue) on your project. I'm considering silver soldering a piece of all thread to the end of the tang and capping the handle with a pommel. That will make a solid connection if the heat from soldering does not damage the other connections. Did you see this as a potential problem? I am interested in your take.
Thanks,

Bob

Larry - I found the carving set blanks at Woodcraft as you suggested. I am concerned, though, that the tangs only protrude from the ferrule about 1" - 1 1/2". I am just concerned that that might not be quite enough to give a really solid connection. Did you see this as a problem? You made the handles on your set even longer than I plan to so leverage is even more of an issue (if it is an issue) on your project. I'm considering silver soldering a piece of all thread to the end of the tang and capping the handle with a pommel. That will make a solid connection if the heat from soldering does not damage the other connections. Did you see this as a potential problem? I am interested in your take.
Thanks,
Bob

Bob,
If you look in my forum or just click the link on my first post in this thread it will take you to the full WIP. I extended the tangs because I thought they were way too short as well. Little more work but I feel its worth it. Thanks Larry

Back