Carbide file guide

I have a carbide file guide that I made after reading one of Bruce's Wips and he told us about it. I tried to set tang shoulders on a Blaze belt and it cut rite into the carbide so I would avoid touching the face of the belt with the carbide but I have had no problems using it on the side of the belt as a plunge line guide. I just use Aluminum Oxide to set the shoulders on a narrow or hidden tang.

Diamond files are killer on carbide but I havent had much trouble with any of my belts anyway. I havent however tried the Blaze Belts. Good feedback guys.

Benton is steadily filling orders for our new all stainless models. They are $20 more but are made from 304 stainless steel with stainless bolts and pins as well. The regular size takes a 2" wide blade and the new extended length will clamp onto a 3" wide blade. Both are the same price at $120 delivered.

Last edited:
I have a carbide file guide that I made after reading one of Bruce's Wips and he told us about it. I tried to set tang shoulders on a Blaze belt and it cut rite into the carbide so I would avoid touching the face of the belt with the carbide but I have had no problems using it on the side of the belt as a plunge line guide. I just use Aluminum Oxide to set the shoulders on a narrow or hidden tang.

Jim,
There must be something wrong with the carbide you purchased for your guide. I have three BB file guides and have used them against all kinds of ceramic belts including The Blaze and I have no visible marks on the carbide inserts.

My last file guide I purchased from Bruce was one of the stainless and now that the oxidation problem has been addressed this guide should out last me against any Ceramic belts I work it on!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

The carbide strips we use is "Premium Medium Grain Carbide" made in the "USA"
Its possible to round the sharp edges but the only time I've actually had to re-surface mine is from using a diamond file to put the shoulders on a tang. I use a diamond wheel on my surface grinder to surface them after the JB Weld dries. In fact I rough up the back side of the carbide on the diamond wheel before epoxying them on.

Dont forget that carbide file guides and a concrete floor collision could be costly. Dont drop it!

It is possible that the carbide I usednis not as robust as the ones that Bruce is using, I purchased mine from Enco. I'm sure you get what you pay for when it comes to Carbide.

I hollow grind most everything and the wheel is easier to work with than a platen.

Sorry for the off-topic but I am so glad to hear you say that Bruce. I am the same and I thought it was only due to my poor skill level.

To get back to topic, I will get one of your guides in the not too distant future for sure. :35:

Hey Patrice,
So you like the hollow grinding better too? I do flat grind big knives like camp knives, choppers and chefs knives. A thick blade begs for a nice hollow grind.

You should put your order in for a file guide right away. Benton is taking orders again but not payments until your guide is finished so there isnt any pressure. We are ordering more stainless and carbides for the next run soon.
Sorry for the off-topic but I am so glad to hear you say that Bruce. I am the same and I thought it was only due to my poor skill level.

To get back to topic, I will get one of your guides in the not too distant future for sure. :35:

Thanks Bruce. Put me down for one then. Or do I need to order from another thread?

You are right. Love everything about the hollow grind. Curves is where it's at so what could be better than another way to add some. Plus even with a shallow grind you get so much more control and feedback or where you are at because of the "groove".

Patrice,
Please email Benton to check availability and/or place an order. His address is TPKM26@gmail.com thanks!

I've wanted a 1" wide wheel to try. It should go around corners better than the 2" wide wheel. Hollow grinding with a 3" wheel is about the most fun. It stays in the groove like glue.
Thanks Bruce. Put me down for one then. Or do I need to order from another thread?

You are right. Love everything about the hollow grind. Curves is where it's at so what could be better than another way to add some. Plus even with a shallow grind you get so much more control and feedback or where you are at because of the "groove".

Last edited:
Hey, Bruce. Any idea how long they are delayed on production? I ordered about 3 weeks ago. It's no rush at all, and I'm not worried about it in the least, knowing that good things come to those who wait :D.

However, I do have a project on hold, and I need to determine if I should wait for the guide to get here or go ahead with what I've got. I emailed Krista but hadn't heard back. Thanks!

--nathan

Hi Nathan,
They get married this Friday and I'm sure Krista has had poor Benton running around in circles. I do know he has 2 more almost ready. I'll see if I can put your name on one.
We've had troubles tapping the holes and I have more taps on order from MacMaster Carr. So the next large batch will be ready soon. Sorry for the wait but when we get a "soon to be bride" involved anything can be delayed. I hope she doesnt read this.
Hey, Bruce. Any idea how long they are delayed on production? I ordered about 3 weeks ago. It's no rush at all, and I'm not worried about it in the least, knowing that good things come to those who wait :D.

However, I do have a project on hold, and I need to determine if I should wait for the guide to get here or go ahead with what I've got. I emailed Krista but hadn't heard back. Thanks!

--nathan

Haha! That is awesome! Please express my congratulations to the two of them. I remember very well how that goes from my own wedding so no worries at all.

Thanks for seeing if you can get one to me. If not, again, no worries. I hope the two of them have an amazing time, and I'll pray for them (and you) as they start their life together.

--nathan

For anybody thinking about ordering a file guide I just want to encourage you to place an order for one. We have ramped up production by out-sourcing some of the work with a small CNC machine shop. The quality is excellent and the wait time is going to be far far less. If anybody has tried to drill, tap, ream and counterbore this many holes in 304 stainless steel you will know how difficult it is. We also are having the carbide pocket milled out by the same shop. I just got the first 3 sets back for my approval and Man they are nice! The price remains the same at $120 delivered

Big Congrats on Krista and your new son in law, Benton trying the knot!

My last purchase of the Stainless steel B.B. File guide works excellently and the W2 carbon one you replaced the guide pins with Stainless Steel no longer has any oxidation problems here by the ocean.

Excellent value in a tool gents. Get one!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back