Carbide file guide

KCorn

Hey Bruce! Have absolutely loved the file guide I bought from you a while back. I've got a question though. I have no problem using it on larger blades and it has greatly improved my grinding. I have tried using it on some small slipjoint blades though and I can't seem to keep from grinding too far off the top of the spine. Do you use the guide even on small folding blades? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Hi KCorn,
I thrilled you like the file guide. I cant understand what you are doing to have the small blades grinding too far off the top of the spine. I use mine (just like yours) on every blade great and small. Are you flat grinding or hollow grinding? I hollow grind most everything and the wheel is easier to work with than a platen. You may just need to use it more and pay close attention to whats happening. I have made a couple smaller guides for guys that want a mini but I use my full size for everything.

Maybe a picture of you grinding. I can post it if you just email it to me.

Hey Bruce! Have absolutely loved the file guide I bought from you a while back. I've got a question though. I have no problem using it on larger blades and it has greatly improved my grinding. I have tried using it on some small slipjoint blades though and I can't seem to keep from grinding too far off the top of the spine. Do you use the guide even on small folding blades? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Just trying to help here, I use two of Bruce's File guides on a daily basis.
Perhaps you are putting to much pressure on the spine area of the blade while grinding?

Try just putting pressure on the middle of file guide/Blade to the edge area and see if that clears up this problem. I use them for all my fixed blades, paring knife to 3" tall Chef blades and haven't this problem?

Cheers,

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

When I grow up I wanna get a BBFG. I'm sure it will out preform the homemade hardened steel one I use now.

I just got mine Monday, and the first thing I did was - use it! :) It works like a champ, I love it and am so pleased that I'm never going to wear it out. Can't wait to try it on the grinder and see what that's like. Bruce makes the best stuff! Thanks Bruce!

Much appreciated compliments on the file guides guys. Dont forget the only thing that can cut carbide is diamonds. I've had to resurface mine a couple times because I used a diamond file to do shoulders on a tang. Dropping your file guide on concrete can break a carbide so I have a rubber mat to stand on.

Much appreciated compliments on the file guides guys. Dont forget the only thing that can cut carbide is diamonds. I've had to resurface mine a couple times because I used a diamond file to do shoulders on a tang. Dropping your file guide on concrete can break a carbide so I have a rubber mat to stand on.

Yeah, I learned about diamond right off - scratched the carbide with a small diamond file and decided right then - no diamond files on my dear Bruce Bump carbide file guide! :)

Well, I may have soon. I use 60 grit ceramic belts for rough grinding, so we'll see how that works out. I might know something this weekend.

Ceramic belts won't even scuff carbide. I don't have a BB file guide, buy I use my Riverside Machine (Uncle Al) file guide all day long against a 36-grit ceramic hogger. Nothing. :biggrin: Carbide is good juju. :thumbup:
Erin

Ceramic belts won't even scuff carbide. I don't have a BB file guide, buy I use my Riverside Machine (Uncle Al) file guide all day long against a 36-grit ceramic hogger. Nothing. :biggrin: Carbide is good juju. :thumbup:
Erin

Excellent! That's good news for many of us. Thanks for the update.

Bruce, You got a photo of your guide? I had bought one from UA several years ago and all I use are ceramic belts with it and the carbide is untouched. Not sure what they used to fasten the carbide but one side did come off. Refastened it with JB and its been holding together fine.

Bruce, You got a photo of your guide? I had bought one from UA several years ago and all I use are ceramic belts with it and the carbide is untouched. Not sure what they used to fasten the carbide but one side did come off. Refastened it with JB and its been holding together fine.

Hi Ray,
Ours are fastened on with JB Weld too but I mill a slot for the carbides to drop down about .050" so there is some side support. They dont bounce well off the concrete, Ive had to re-attach one and replace a broken one so far. After the epoxy dries I use a diamond wheel and resurface both carbides to match.

heres a romantic shot of my file guide and my favorite red wine. We dont get "out" much here in Walla Walla, can ya tell?

BrianPeterSerkovandfileguides078.jpg

Last edited:
That's one sexy lookin' guide! Definitely on my list of must haves next time I can get a few bucks together...

Bruce, That's a good looking tool. Thanks for the photo. What is the space between the two machine screws? The one I have won't accept to wide of a blade.

Back