Cable Integral with Skirted Sash Sheath

nthe10ring

This is a couple of firsts for me, my first integral and also first cable knife. Forged from cable and constructed with a through peened tang and curly maple handle. Overall length is a little over ten inches. I made the sheath from various weights of veg-tan and dyed with some of my mixes.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Thanks
Jerry Fisher

AWESOME Jerry, that is gorgeous and I can appreciated the time and work in it. Sheath is mighty fine......Randy also

VERY cool Jerry. It has a very nice "feel" to it. :thumbup: How did you treat the maple handle?
Erin

Wow Jerry! What a nice looking knife, love the entire package. The curly Maple is beautiful and I like how you shaped the end of the handle.
Bruce

Thanks Guys! Really appreciate the kind comments.
Erin- In reply to your question as to the maple. As you know its very light to start with and needs to be colored to bring out the curl. I first dye with orange and rub back with steel wool, then over dye with a mix of british tan and black , doing this a couple if times rubbing back with the wool. To make it snap a bit, I overdye with a bit of yellow. Its one of those things you just have to play with . All these are spirit dyes by the way. When I'm satisfied with the color I finish with Tru-Oil. On this particular knife I believe was about 6 or seven coats, all these need to dry 20 min or so and then rub out with rough towling, just keep doing this till you get the look you want, for a more satin look, just barely rub out with fresh 0000 steel wool and then rub back with the towling.

Regards
Jerry Fisher

Cant believe I missed this post. Well guys I was the lucky recipient of this fine knife by Jerry. Its a fantastic knife, the pics really dont do it justice.
And the sharpest knife I have ever had the privilege to handle. I now know what the term shaving sharp means, this does it with absolutely no problem, its almost scary sharp.
What blows me away is the quality of the sheath though, I got a few questions for Jerry on that one next time he makes it over to my house.
Chris

Back