Build along kit - We need 2 build along sponsors and some new makers!

Both are good ideas. I will work on that.

Tracy,

From reading through a lot of threads from newbies just getting started, a common question I see is finding a source of knife templates/patterns. Throw in a couple cardboard patterns in the kit to get them started--bushcraft, simple drop point, etc., that gives a reference point for the plunges, hole spacing, etc. A pattern for the sheath would be useful too--sometimes getting the sheath right is more work than the knife. Maybe pair the materials kit with a separate basic tools kit--a couple of different types of files, several sheets of wet/dry paper, a cobalt drill bit, etc.

Nathan

Now that I think about it, what about a basic sheathmaking tool kit? Tandy offers "kits" in terms of basic tools, but sometimes they lack certain things, or have more that what you need.

I have been working on my knife. I have some video editing to do and the last section but it is comming along.

I have begun my Tutorial for the Build Along kit here-

http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?28920-USAKnifemakers-Stage-1-knife-kit-Tutorial

Don't worry Boss ! We're going to solve that Heat treating issue in the Tutorial and it'll be so easy a Caveman can do it :14:

I'm shooting for staying on point with the wip but it's getting long winded already, LOL.

I think anyone willing to read the entire Tutorial should be able to finish a knife with your Kit :lol:

-Josh

The project proposed here is one that I am sure will be most welcome to many would-be knifemakers. That it has been proposed by two friends is incidental---Yeah! Thank you, Tracy, for origiinating the idea, and to you, Josh for so quickly reponding to the challenge.

Although I am (?) a sheathmaker, I would not support a sheathmaking kit or tutorial to dilute this program. Stay with the original proposal. ---Sandy---

Sandy, I really respect your opinion on leather work, but I have a question. The kit came about as a basis for a knife making contest, which included making the sheath. The kit was simply a basis for gaining new ideas and perspectives on what can be done with the same materials by various makers, both new and old.

As the contest was to make a knife and sheath, will you be commenting on the work presented? I have read your opinions on other's work and they are very helpful. I hope you stick around...Teddy

Teddy, thank you for your gracious reply, it is appreciated! I just thought that two different skills was a lot on the plate for one just starting out in the craft. Than I did some thought and realized that most would only make the one knife and a sheath had to an integral part of the whole.. That is good because it gives one the insight on two crafts that might develop into a hobby------or vocation.

Regarding your hope that "I stick around" I will try with all my heart, body and soul----Haha Only a few weeks away from 90 now and I feel that has been a good start-------Sandy

Back