Build along kit - We need 2 build along sponsors and some new makers!

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
OK, so some of the guys over on Knife Network forum have gotten together and decided to do a knife build along. Some or most have never made a knife and don't have the tools or experience to get one done. Marc from over there asked me to put together a kit that has "everything" you need to make a knife.

I did that. Have a look at this kit here >click this<

It is basically an annealed piece of 1084, a set of scales, pin material, a drill bit, leather, glue, thread, leather sewing needles. I wrote up some simple heat treat instructions that anyone can manage to do. A beginning knife maker can shape the steel anyway he can get that part done, heat treat it, attach and shape the scales and then make a sheath. All you need is a simple hand drill maybe some files or a grinder, sand paper and a guy can have a knife.

What I need is two experienced knife maker volunteers to lead a build off here.
Keep it low tech and simple with the beginning maker in mind. Document the process so someone following along can build along. Keep in mind, this will be available for a long time and the vast majority will build along silently or long after the "Official" build along is done.

For the Build Along Volunteer sponsors, I will give you each a kit. All you have to do is build it and post lots of pictures and have some fun doing it. By experienced I mean you don't have to be a pro or have years of experience. I just need a couple guys that can get through the build, get pictures posted and help answer an occasional question in the build along thread. Everyone will help everyone out if the participants all post pictures....

A few more things:
No rules. Anyone can do it anyway they want.
No time limit. Anyone can take as long as they want -- except the sponsors. We'd like the sponsors to get it done in 30 days. Sooner is better but really this should be a fun, no pressure deal. An experienced maker could get this done in one day with a lot of time on other stuff.

I expect to sell through the kits we have on hand. We just assembled our first batch today. We will have plenty of more kits next week as we wait on some additional items to come in.

Let me know what you think...

I'll do it also Boss.

Sounds like a great way to help out some new makers :)

-Josh

done and filled.
Thanks Josh. We will get a kit out to you next week. As soon as either one of you get a chance to get started, open a thread I the WIP forum and off we go. Any one else can just jump in.

no one needs to buy a kit to build along. Just jump in with what you have...

Awesome, That didnt take long!! B4 I could read it you guys got it filled up and started! Way to go guys!

Looking forward to seeing the builds.

Hey Boss, thanks a bunch for stepping up and putting together this kit for the contest. It is my understanding that requests were sent out to various suppliers and you were the only one to respond and get the job done. You got my future business. ...Teddy

Hey Boss, thanks a bunch for stepping up and putting together this kit for the contest. It is my understanding that requests were sent out to various suppliers and you were the only one to respond and get the job done. You got my future business. ...Teddy

Thank you Teddy.
i appreciate that a great deal. We are trying hard.

I see a lotta guys wanting to get into knifemaking but the first step it is pretty big. This hopefully will get us a bunch of new knife maker friends...

This is great. It has been done before, but never from the start. I would like to see a dvd with the kit, but the link to youtube might work. This would be a great start for a 4h project. I will keep this in mind.

This is great. It has been done before, but never from the start. I would like to see a dvd with the kit, but the link to youtube might work. This would be a great start for a 4h project. I will keep this in mind.

The Boy Scouts, Royal Rangers, Pathfinders boys groups could use this too. Maybe we can email our local scout leaders and friends the link when it gets underway.

This really is admirable Boss. It may spawn a new wave of boys and fathers. This would have been handy when I was a Royal Ranger leader.

Not wanting to drift from the topic but I got to +1 what Bruce posted. What a great way for family to interact as well as friends new and old.

looking forward to the builds

My kit arrived safe and sound today.

It may be a few days yet before I get my thread going but I'll get it together quickly once I start.

I've got a solid plan layed out for the build and WIP already.

Here's a little sneak peek at where I'm heading-

The KIT-
001_zps8935804b.jpg

My design-
002_zpsb82d1224.jpg

Take care Dogs !

-Josh

Looking forward to this. We need a way to get new guys into the hobby that is simple and gets past the heat treating roadblock so many run into.

I am open to any suggestions on the next version of this kit.

Tracy,

From reading through a lot of threads from newbies just getting started, a common question I see is finding a source of knife templates/patterns. Throw in a couple cardboard patterns in the kit to get them started--bushcraft, simple drop point, etc., that gives a reference point for the plunges, hole spacing, etc. A pattern for the sheath would be useful too--sometimes getting the sheath right is more work than the knife. Maybe pair the materials kit with a separate basic tools kit--a couple of different types of files, several sheets of wet/dry paper, a cobalt drill bit, etc.

Nathan

Back