Bowie Work In Progress

opaul

First up thanks to everyone that has replied and lent their knowledge on Bowies. I hope to learn a lot from this build, and already have just in the short time I've been working on it. This Bowie is very similar to the sketch and subsequent sketch in another post.
I'm using 1070 steel 3/16" thick. I've had this piece of steel from when I first started making knives and decided to use it - it should make a nice tough blade. I cut the knife shape out yesterday and profiled the blade. Then took the grind all the way up the spine. Really didn't want to do that but that's where this grind/build ended up. I have hand sanded to 180 grit. I have not normalized the steel yet. Today I used a piece of the 1070 steel for the guard. Drilling and hand filing the slot is a lot of work! I put that machinist file (suggested by Ed in a post a long while a go) to good use - it's a nice file. File and fit, file and fit. I got frustrated a few times but I'm satisfied the fit is as good as I can get it. I then shaped the guard, tapered and profiled the ends and then heated and shaped the bends. I really like the fired look from the propane torch.
Tomorrow I'm going to normalize the blade and hopefully get it quenched and tempered. I am going to go with a Hamon on this blade (fingers crossed). Note to self - remember to drill the pin hole before quenching.
Anyway here it is as finished today.

Looking good Paul, any thoughts on the handle your putting on?
I've got some nice wood pieces I've been saving for a while. I may go with something like Ringed Gidgee or maybe go with some other nice grained wood but I'm thinking a darker species for sure.

That is coming along nicely. Looking forward to following along. I am working on my first bowie. I need to have it finished up by next summer so I am not in a big hurry, quite yet.

With the cold weather here in Nebraska, I have been staying out of the shop. Hopefully, the weather will get a bit warmer and I can get back into the shop.

Great work in the guard fit-up! That is a lot of work and not easy to get right. (three cheers for milling machines! WooHoo!)

The blade looks very good. This knife is going to be a beauty!

Great work in the guard fit-up! That is a lot of work and not easy to get right. (three cheers for milling machines! WooHoo!)

The blade looks very good. This knife is going to be a beauty!
Thank you. I’ve looked at milling machines. Wish they weren’t so expensive. The milling part along with the flattening milling would be a great addition to the shop!

That is a Bowie for sure - looks really good. A GREAT job on fitting the guard. Keep posting progress photos please.

Thank you. I’ve looked at milling machines. Wish they weren’t so expensive. The milling part along with the flattening milling would be a great addition to the shop!

They are expensive but extremely worth it. I’ve only got a mini-mill but I couldn’t live without it after having one.

Bad karma. The ‘1070’ steel I got from The Metal Market’. Would not harden. Also as
I was sanding I noticed a few impurities in the steel.
I’m cutting my loses on this one. I’ll charge the hours to the learning curve for making a Bowie.
Right now i’m going to hang up my shop apron and open up a Blue Moon. Enough for today.

Bad karma. The ‘1070’ steel I got from The Metal Market’. Would not harden. Also as
I was sanding I noticed a few impurities in the steel.
I’m cutting my loses on this one. I’ll charge the hours to the learning curve for making a Bowie.
Right now i’m going to hang up my shop apron and open up a Blue Moon. Enough for today.

This stinks! The build was just starting to get to the good part...

Back