Bowie Request

opaul

I just receive a request/order to make a Bowie. I’ve been wanting to make one but have been hesitant because although I think they look great, personally I think they are more of a nich knife.
I do know I have seen them in both hidden tang and full tang construction. I just have to decide which I want to do.
For those that have made a Bowie any suggestions and pictures would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited:
The good news is that the term "Bowie" means so many different things, to so many different people! Unless you have an in depth discussion with your client about specific details, there's a lot of latitude. One quick google search for "Bowie Knife", and you'll have enough variety to make your head swim! :)
The way I view it....rather than try to argue what is or is not a "Bowie Knife", I personally enjoy seeing the various interpretations makers put into them....very often making the knife unique to the individual maker.
Here are a few pics of what I call "Bowies".....

Blade201715.jpg

2.jpg

Bowie.jpg

Fossil-Bowie.jpg

Last edited:
This is one I finished the other day but it is 5am here and taking pics on the kitchen table under lights is not the best . copper bolster with African Tambotie wood handles with copper pins on a 7 1/4 inch by .170 1075 blade. 12 3/4 inches overall length. Clip is non sharpened
9xB4GjCl.jpg

4SRdnbpl.jpg

This is one I finished the other day but it is 5am here and taking pics on the kitchen table under lights is not the best . copper bolster with African Tambotie wood handles with copper pins on a 7 1/4 inch by .170 1075 blade. 12 3/4 inches overall length. Clip is non sharpened
9xB4GjCl.jpg

4SRdnbpl.jpg
Looks great. Did you pin the bolsters?

The first three are full tang the last two are framed handles, the first three are from the same pattern, called a Texas bowie if you would like the pattern I would send you one. Deane

Here is on I made not to long ago, the blade is 9 3/4" 15" overall the handle is from a 100 year old cutlery set, is a little different bowie style I call it a mountain man knife.

Attachments

• mountain man knife.png
    mountain man knife.png
    97.2 KB · Views: 12
my very basic take on the Bowie design. The customer wanted 12 inch blades which kind makes the blades look too straight. I think I should have brought the clips back farther.

Attachments

• 73971D43-4FD3-4735-BD48-A6BDDA1B7908.jpeg
    73971D43-4FD3-4735-BD48-A6BDDA1B7908.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 16
  • 7D2A1090-DB2B-4C7D-8B69-001FD4922C6D.jpeg
    7D2A1090-DB2B-4C7D-8B69-001FD4922C6D.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 16
The first three are full tang the last two are framed handles, the first three are from the same pattern, called a Texas bowie if you would like the pattern I would send you one. Deane
Yes please! I’ll pm you. Thanks!

Guys! Maybe I shouldn’t have asked for photos - you all have set a high bar!
Beautiful work and I hope I can, at least come close!

Back