Bowie Pics: 1084 and Mesquite

silver_pilate

Just put the final touches on this one. It's a blade I ground out a long time ago (spring, I think), and I finally got around to completing it. This is my KITH entry this year, and it's also the first bowie, first hidden-tang, and first file-fit guard. :)

The blade is Aldo's 1084 and the handle is Mesquite sanded up to 1000 grit and finished with Danish oil. It has great chatoyance. I'll end up putting several more coats on and then finishing it with a hand cloth buff.

The specs are: 1/4" 1084 stock removal blade; 7-7/8" cutting edge; 8-3/4" tip to guard; 13-3/4" OAL. The blade is just shy of 1-1/2" wide at it's tallest point. The blade is finished with a satin machine finish, and there is a small scuff just forward of the plunge I need to fix from where I sanded the mark to clean the edges. Hardware is 440C. Balance is at the ricasso, a little forward of where I would like it to be (have to get more distal taper next time and not thin the tang as much). I also would have liked more width to the botton of the handle, but the block I had was just big enough to work as is.

The blade is a full flat grind, blended slightly convex towards the edge and finished with an extremely sharp convex edge bevel. I'll throw in a picture of some paper curls. I know that's trite, but this thing just glides through paper, cuts nylon rope without a thought, and can take chunks of carboard without even slowing down.

Sorry for the somewhat crappy pics. It's 12:00 and I only have indoor lighting and no light box. Thanks for looking, and let me know what you think. Critiques always welcome.

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

--nathan

Nathan
That is hot bro

All kinds of hot

only thing I can think of that would make it pop a little more, would be some hamon action going on

LOVE IT!

Nathan,

Thats a sweet Bowie ! The kith is gonna be a real Blast. The file fit guard seems a little intimidating but it's really not too bad to make one. Yours looks fantastic and yet again I'm thinking, I'll be smiling if that shows up in my mailbox. :)

Great job, -Josh

Thanks, everyone!

Dave, I did think about claying and quenching for a hamon, but I only had some Rutland's cement, and over that long and large of an area, it can be a mess to work with. I'm still waiting on my satanite to come in along with my forge from Darren Ellis.

--nathan

Nathan,

That is one nice bowie. Your fit and finish are great.

And a hamon on this one would set the blade off!

Someones going to be very happy!2thumbs

And your pictures came out great too.

Kelly

Hey Nathan,
Really nice job on the knife. Has a nice flow to it, really like the shape of the handle too.
Bruce

Extremely well made knife Nathan. Very nice style, finish, fit. Really like the reddish handle which reminds me of River Red Gum we get here in Oz.

Terry

That's what I'm talking about. That piece of steel looks a hell of a lot better than the last time I saw it. Beautiful work Nathan.

Aldo

Back