Blank and Bevel work- Mini Cleaver

Mark Barone

I'm going to begin this next project and to avoid starting new threads for every tech question, I'll incorporate it into the build.
I need to order deburring bits. I seem to need Cobalt bits to go through my blanks. Do I need cobalt deburring bits or will general metal bits be enough just to debur?

Are you taking about slightly countersinking the holes in the tang as I have sharpened a carbide tipped concrete bit which I use for all my countersinking on the tang and then after heat treating the same bit will clean up any forge scale so the epoxy has a nice dam either side of the tang.
This way the one bit will do all the holes sizes I may use.

Are you taking about slightly countersinking the holes in the tang as I have sharpened a carbide tipped concrete bit which I use for all my countersinking on the tang and then after heat treating the same bit will clean up any forge scale so the epoxy has a nice dam either side of the tang.
This way the one bit will do all the holes sizes I may use.

Yes but also on cleavers there is a small hole that is visible on top of the blade. This one I would want to have a nice small clean countersink since it is visible.

I did the same for the hole you mean when I made my kitchen set with a cleaver included
gpJIQQwl.jpg

1090 steel 3/16 inch
Tools
Angle Grinder
1x30 belt sander
Drill Press
Block of wood and a bolt

Here is some pictures of my build and I welcome input.

I left about a dimes width. I actually started at 80 then 120, 240, 400all on the belt.
The picture does show some imperfections, that's not a shadow, I'm not happy with them. I don't know if the previous grind marks are showing or some other weird thing. So my concern is that the more I play with it , the more chance of ruining it.
So what is going through my mind??? Do I leave it, go for higher grits by hand. Stick with 400 but do horizontal hand sanding. I know it depends on what I'm going for. Right now I woukd not sticking with 400 if I could get consistent horizontal lines. I still need to clean up the spine and all the way around.

Attachments

• IMG_2918.JPG
    IMG_2918.JPG
    851.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2919.JPG
    IMG_2919.JPG
    825.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2920.JPG
    IMG_2920.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2921.JPG
    IMG_2921.JPG