Blade mags top ten knives of the decade.

Tod Lowe

So Blade Magazine did a top ten knives of the decade article. Innovation in design and materials were key considerations.
I have only been making knives a little over a year and wasnt a collector (although I have a lot of knives). My knowledge is limited to what I read and get from these forums...and some real world use of knives.

It looks like 9 of the top ten knives are folders. The only fixed blade is a chefs knife. I wouldnt have thought it would have been that lopsided but what do I know. It seems a little biased to me but thats my opinion.

The one knife that surprised me the most on the list is the Griptilian folder by Benchmade. I am by no means knocking any knife on the list....they are all great works. I dont own this particular knife but it must be an amazing little knife to be top ten of the decade.

My favorite is the Havoc followed by The Strider.

Any knives you guys are surprised didnt make the list or think should have?

I think they should have made a separate folders and fixed blade list... ;)

Copy that.
One of my fixed blade knives might have had a chance then!:haha:

Non of the knives were multiblade folders either. Must have not been any good ones made.:p

I haven't seen the list yet, but I would have to agree with Les. I guess I need to look at the list so I can give my honest opinion.

I agree. Different categories for fixed blade and folders. Also, a kitchen knife? Really?

As for 9 being folders, this makes sense to me because of the criteria they were being judged on. It's much harder to be innovative with a fixed blade design considering there is no mechanism. There is more to be innovative with when designing a folder than there is with a fixed blade.

I would have to say that making a list like that would be impossible for me. Too many outstanding designs in the last 10 years.

I find it very odd that if you are judging the top 10 knives of the decade that not one of the people making these judgments is a knife maker.

Of course this is all my opinion and therefore worthless! cool 1

Maybe someone could set up a poll here. We have a pretty good mix of makers, purveyors, collectors and users. Maybe? huh1

I agree. Different categories for fixed blade and folders. Also, a kitchen knife? Really?

As for 9 being folders, this makes sense to me because of the criteria they were being judged on. It's much harder to be innovative with a fixed blade design considering there is no mechanism. There is more to be innovative with when designing a folder than there is with a fixed blade.

I would have to say that making a list like that would be impossible for me. Too many outstanding designs in the last 10 years.

I find it very odd that if you are judging the top 10 knives of the decade that not one of the people making these judgments is a knife maker.

Of course this is all my opinion and therefore worthless! cool 1

Maybe someone could set up a poll here. We have a pretty good mix of makers, purveyors, collectors and users. Maybe? huh1

Yeah. I went back and looked at the list of people deciding and your correct unless some of the knife store owners are makers. And it was only like 4 people.huh1
Just a pretty bold statement to say top ten knives of the decade.
Still not taking anything from the knives....all are sweet!

And http://www.usaknifemaker.com/ wasnt listed in the Knife store Galore article.(must be an old article)

Last edited:
I believe it's still a list made up by a group of people , maybe three or four , and what pleased them, after being told that certain factors were in place for chosing. Not all that was printed need be concidered the right decision. Just my opinion, and only for today, and I haven't even seen what was picked. Frank

Unranked in alphabetical order.

Amazonas - Korth Cutlery

Dead Sexy - Ken Onion

D.O.G. - Grant Hawk

Glimpse - Todd Begg

Griptilian - Benchmade

Gun Hammer - Darrel Ralph

Havoc - R.J. Martin

Leek - Kershaw

Shun - Kia / Kershaw (Kitchen Knife)

SMF - Strider Knives

There you go!

I'm unsure as to who the deciding personnel and factors were in compiling this list, but I believe they could have done a better job. There are several blades on the list which I could personally agree with. A few of the others on the list kind of make me wonder what they were smoking. I'm extremely disappointed that not a single William Henry knife made the list yet William Henry has many top award winning knives each year at Blade.

Please do not misunderstand my perspective on this. In no way am I saying that each of the blades chosen is not a quality product, I just believe that the deciding personnel could have done better research and made more informed decisions. I'm a big fan of several of the makers who made the list (Darrel Ralph, R. J. Martin, Ken Onion, and Todd Begg, as well as BM), and believe they do outstanding work.

Here is who the magazine says were consulted in the choosing of the top ten knives of the decade.

Purveyor Neil Ostroff , owner of True North Knives in Montreal Canada.

Knife collector Steven Garsson of San Diego, California.

Brian Huegal, owner of Country Knives retail knife store in Intercourse, Pennsylvania

And Howard Korn , owner of the knife center in College park , Maryland.

Im a little surprised not a spyderco knife on the list just by looking at what seems to be the criteria of the list.

Back