Been busy building tools

ZebDeming

Been building alot of tools lately, trying to get enough stuff around to make my life a bit easier. Being as I've got a wife and 3 daughters, I've got very little fun money to just go buy stuff, so I save scrap and scrounge around to find useful stuff that can be used.

First up is a heat treating forge, I plan on eventually putting a salt pot in this, but as it sits right now it works pretty well. The body is a gutted muffler from a newer chevy truck that I lined in kaowool. The burner is just a homemade reil burner controled by a PID from auber instruments. The solenoid that switches the propane on and off to the burner is a fuel shutoff solenoid for a propane forklift. I have to run the controler in on/off mode, but it maintains a pretty good temp, I can keep it within 5 degrees of the set point. I just dangle the blade in the hole in the top with a heavy piece of wire. You'll also see I've got the controller and all the electrics in an ammo can.

IMAG0451.jpg

On to a new welding forge, my old forge has seen better days and it's got a pretty small volume, so I built a vertical welding forge. The floor is 2" thick of mizzou refractory, walls have 2" of kaowool and then coated in an industrial refractory clay that I get from the local foundry called X9. Then it's all coated in ITC100. The outside diameter is 12" and it has a homemade blown burner. It gets screaming hot and it should be bulletproof. It now has a proper top for it instead of just a piece of kaowool, this was my first test run.

IMAG0478.jpg

I've got my big 180 pound block of D2 for my normal anvil, but there's times a person needs a horn and a hardy hole, so between an O/A torch and grinder I went to town on a piece of rail road track, it ain't heavy and has a horible ring to it, but it was pretty much free and will due until I can find a proper anvil

IMAG0481.jpg

I've been using a harbor freight 1x30 and 4x36 belt sanders for alot of my blade shaping, and anyone who has ever used one, knows my frustration. Recently I just bought an 8" grizzly belt grinder contact wheel, and needed to put it to use. I scrounged around for an electric motor to no avail, but I did dig out a varible speed automotive buffer. I wasn't sure how much power it had, but it didn't owe me anything so I put it into use. The spindle thread is a normal 5/8 x 11 so I machined up a nut that took up the space between the spindle and the 3/4 bore of the wheel. I love doing lathe work, and I got the thing dead nuts as there is no vibration, even with the wheel spinning at 3000 rpm. It's got plenty of power and variable speed to boot. A little bit of angle iron and welding later, and here's where it sits now. I'm going to build a stand for it, instead of clamping it into my portable workbench and using a rope to steady it. I can't even believe how fast it removes metal compared to what I was using, super happy about this one. Randy Haas of HHH knives doesn't live too far from me and helped me out by giving me a few old used belts to get everything setup and running, even with a dull used belt, it just chews running the motor wide open at 6280 SFPM, a bit scary though, so I don't run it there very often if at all.

IMAG0493.jpg

And tonight I finished up plumbing the new press. I'm using the same pump and valve from my last one and a larger cylinder, so it's a bit slower, but lots more power. It's not done yet as I want to make a foot controled valve and I'll need to do a little more welding yet. Still need to make some dies and figure a way to align them, but those are small things. Here she is.

IMAG0499.jpg

All these little projects are still sorta in progress as every thing is constantly evolving, and they'll probably stay rough around the edges, but I'm fine with that. I do alot of scrounging for stuff and use what I can find, and sometimes just plain get lucky on finding just the right thing. Thanks for watching

Zeb

Way to go, Mr. !!!
I'll be waiting to see some knives in the future. You seem to of handled those tool projects so very well ! Frank.

Great job Zeb, gotta love building your own equipment. Yup , that way you know how to repair it when it craps out on you. Now to make a few more knives.

Cool Zeb, these are looking good. That grinder sounds like its a SCREAMING fast machine! I have been told out modern ceramic belts are designed to be run about twice as fast as most grinders we use go. Not sure if that 100% accurate, just want I heard.

Anyways, great job.
Randy

Thanks everyone, it's all rough around the edges but it all works good. I got some time today to use everything, The press is all plumbed, the valve is on the bottom so as I can use my foot to operate it, freeing both of my hands, it's a bit awkward, but I'm getting used to it. I made a set of dies from D2 for it. The forge works better than I could have hoped, and I'm not sure how I got by without a 2x72 for so long.

Zeb

Well like most of my "good ideas" the variable speed buffer for the grinder turned out to be a bad idea. I've burnt up 2 of them so far. So today I picked up a used 2 horse 1725 rpm motor and I'm rebuilding the grinder. It won't have variable speed, but I don't think I'll kill this motor. Pics as I progress.

Zeb

Great work on the tools! Im about the same, ive built my powerhammer, 3 2x72 grinders, both forges, one anvil, and a whole buch of other stuff.

While you are rebuilding the grinder with the new to you motor, swing by the salvage yard. My local salvage yard has a pile that they keep electric motors in. Alot of them have pulleys still on them. They let me pull pulleys and buy them for scrap aluminum price! If you can do the same in your area, you could have variable speed to just a few dollars while you are rebuilding anyways

Cool, Joe, I figure if someone else could build it, so can I, sounds like you feel the same way :) I've been collecting parts to build a powerhammer, but that project is a little ways off. Great idea about the scrap yard, I don't have one that's really close :(

This is pretty much done, here it sits.

528846_4175856803538_1655512592_n (1).jpg

I've got the drive set up to run the belt a little over 4000 sfpm, and everything seems fine. Getting the two wheels on the same plane can be a bit of a pain, but with the help of numerous straight edges, some clamps, some cursing and a bit of time, I got it all lined up. I'm still using a c-clamp to hold the platen, but I kinda like it, it works just fine, and I can place it anywhere I want to. The bench is screwed to the wall and I can now lean pretty hard on the piece I'm grinding, I haven't been able to stall it yet, hell I can't even slow it down. I'm really happy with the new (used) motor and the new frame for the grinder, Should have built it this way to begin with.

Zeb

Looks really similar to mine.

Instead of the top bar like yours, i made my last one with a bar on either side of the upright with bars welded between them and the pivot bolt runs theough the center. Its alot more stable and provides better tracking.

My power hammer was alot of fun to build. Its a guided helve hammer very similar to stormcrow's gunhilda. Cost me about $600 worth of steel and a bunch of stuff from my scrap piles. Its a 42 pound ram, but when done will be a 60 pounder. I can work a 1" rod of 52100 down to a preform with the tapers rough forged in in about 20 minutes and then forge in the bevels and tru it up by hand.

Back