Bead Blast Help

Big Smitty

I am looking to get into a bead blast set up. I will probably go with a harbor freight set up ITEM 42202-7VGA at this site: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42202 it is rated at 10 CFM at 100 PSI. Has anyone bought and used this set up? Does it come with everything needed except the air compressor? Does it work adequetly for knife making? I am going to use it on handles and blades obviously. What abrasive or blast media should I get? Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

I was just looking at air compressors. What is a scfm compared to a cfm? I am trying to find a air compressor to work with the blast cabinet above. Any recommendations?

I have one of those cabinets. The seals leak, the plexiglass came out and I had to tape it back in with duct tape. There is supposed to be some peel away covers for the plexi but those didn't work so well. After all that, for the price, it is the best thing out there. I'd buy one again today if my other one disappeared. It is surprising how fast a 20gallon air compressor drains when sand blasting. You get maybe a 2 minutes of decent blasting and then you have to wait for pressure to build again. Get the biggest compressor you can.

Thanks guys! Any recommendations on a air compressor on the cheap from HF that will run the one David rcommends?

Take a look at this cabinet....http://www.summitracing.com/search/Brand/Summit-Racing/Product-Line/Summit-Racing-Vertical-Sandblasting-Cabinets/?autoview=SKU

I'm seriously thinking of upgrading my blast cabinet to the one in that link. I compared it with the HF cabinet....it's nearly identical, $100 CHEAPER, and Summit only charges something like $12 shipping! I suspect that just like the HF, you'll likely have to seal it up with RTV or Silicone when assembling, but for the money you'd save it would be that much more you'd have for a compressor. I had a buddy turn me on to the Summit cabinet when I mentioned looking at the HF model.

Speaking of compressors, in order to run a blast cabinet with any efficiency, you're gona want a larger compressor....example: 60 gal/5 hp. Anything less and although it might run the cabinet for short durations, it'll be overworking the compressor, and the results you achieve will be much less than what the cabinet is capable of.

I have a Cyclone T-1000 i got from MSC, several years ago. It is a table top with the lid rasis up. It does good, i use the 100/170 grit glass beads. My compresser is a Sears 1.5hp 12 gallon, it's all i have but it works. I replaced the nozzle to a 3.5 cfm. I will get a bigger one when the funds are there.

Rick

Back