Band Saw Shopping

IMO, the big problem with the Harbor Freight, etc saws is the flimsy sheet metal base, Not sure what you can do about that. Stock blade is crap. Don't even bother to wait a couple of days for it to wear out.

I use the horizontal part just enough to make it not cost effective to do a porta band. You got Jets and Grizzlies in the $800-$1000 range, and I just can't see that much upgrade from the $500-$700 options. Then there is the bottom end $350-$450 stuff I don't think I'm interested in, though I know they'd work for a long time. I got a local hardware store that handles ShopFox which looked like a decent unit last time I glanced at it and no shipping. But I wasn't shopping at the time so I'll have to look it over again.
I asked about horizontal bandsaws in the $1,000 range over on Practical Machinist. I'll link to it next time I get on my laptop.

Sent by smoke signals using Tapatalk

If you couldn't tell, I'm partial to the "old iron".

I just feel like you get more for your dollar if you can put in a little "elbow grease" - even if you count your time as money (which I feel you should)
Do-All makes unbelievable equipment for sure!!

My wonderful little early 80's Buffalo Tool horizontal bandsaw died the big death on me this week. The brass gear gave up the ghost. I suppose if it was newer and/or in better shape, I'd fix it.

So it's time for a new one. I see lots of the new 64 1/2" bladed horizontals come with a little table for vertical use. I've done some comparing and most of them seem to be some derivation of the same model.

My question for you good folks here, is there any stand outs that you prefer or anything you particularly don't like with any particular models?
Any update on the hunt for a replacement saw?

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

Nothing yet.
Gotcha. I'm doing a bit of research right now. So far, I've decided that the Jet HVBS 56V is a better choice than the Grizzly or Shop Fox horizontal/vertical 5X6 saws. It costs less, has a variable speed motor, plus a "three speed gearbox" (probably step pulleys). It also claims up to 230FPM, vs 200 for the other two.

Gotcha. I'm doing a bit of research right now. So far, I've decided that the Jet HVBS 56V is a better choice than the Grizzly or Shop Fox horizontal/vertical 5X6 saws. It costs less, has a variable speed motor, plus a "three speed gearbox" (probably step pulleys). It also claims up to 230FPM, vs 200 for the other two.

Napa Online has that for $839. $50 cheaper than anywhere else. I wonder if my local would make me a deal and save shipping...

Napa Online has that for $839. $50 cheaper than anywhere else. I wonder if my local would make me a deal and save shipping...
They aught to be able to get you a better deal on shipping.

I've still been looking around for other saws. Holy crap there are a lot of options!

The only thing I don't like about that JET, is that it doesn't have any provision for coolant. It's something you could add on later, though. Looks like if you want anything that's noticeably better than that saw, you have to spend $500 more.

They aught to be able to get you a better deal on shipping.

I've still been looking around for other saws. Holy crap there are a lot of options!

The only thing I don't like about that JET, is that it doesn't have any provision for coolant. It's something you could add on later, though. Looks like if you want anything that's noticeably better than that saw, you have to spend $500 more.

Since I discovered stick lube, I'm not sure I could justify coolant on a saw that small.

The subject of bandsaws & blades came up earlier Here are a couple of previous links to discussions of the Iturra's Bandsaw catalog, etc.
https://knifedogs.com/threads/its-nice-to-have-support.51663/page-2#post-411394 (see my last posting regarding the catalog)
and
As I mentioned in these posts, Iturra, in my opinion, is the last word in bandsaws. & blades. This is a family run old-school business - no website presence, they actually talk on the telephone.
While they are generally focused on wood working, they have a lot of knowledge about metal cutting. Their very large catalog they offer for free (if you can get one) is a wealth of information about how to upgrade & tune Delta, Jet & Grizzly saws to perform better.

The only thing I don't like about that JET, is that it doesn't have any provision for coolant. It's something you could add on later
I sometimes use a magnetic base portable mist sprayer on my saw when cutting thick metal. BUT I'm really not happy doing that since it tends to gum up all the saw crud, particularly when mixed with old wood cutting residue. And, while even using coolant lubricant mix in the spray, it can contribute to rusting. My first choice of lubricant is stick lube, but even using that can add to chips clinging to & gumming up the tires on the saw.

Here's another view of my bandsaw that may offer some ideas. The metal flex nozzle at the guides is connected to an air line to blow dust off a work piece. The other flex tube is the spray lubricant nozzle for cooling (seldom used). Both of these lines have magnetic bases. I've connected a vacuum line to pick up stray dust/chips under the table. The lower wheel cover has been modified to allow dust/chips to drop into a collection bucket. Not shown are two upgrades, a new blade tension spring and new tires.
I've considered installing high performance roller guides, but after reviewing the benefits & cost decided not to. The solid block guides seem to work just fine for what I do.

1649783752768.png

IMO, the big problem with the Harbor Freight, etc saws is the flimsy sheet metal base, Not sure what you can do about that. Stock blade is crap. Don't even bother to wait a couple of days for it to wear out.
the legs are sheet metal, but the frame and the saw body are cast. Unless you're talking about the cheap little sheet metal table, which is just a cheap little sheet metal table. I always planned to upgrade the table and then realized it didn't bother me in the slightest. All I'm doing is cutting out blanks and cutting pin stock to length. It's been about ten years, so maybe I'll finally make a decent table for it because the cheapie one has a gigantic slot for the blade and my little cutoffs are always falling down through the hole into the blade guides. Eh, I probably won't.

the legs are sheet metal, but the frame and the saw body are cast. Unless you're talking about the cheap little sheet metal table, which is just a cheap little sheet metal table. I always planned to upgrade the table and then realized it didn't bother me in the slightest. All I'm doing is cutting out blanks and cutting pin stock to length. It's been about ten years, so maybe I'll finally make a decent table for it because the cheapie one has a gigantic slot for the blade and my little cutoffs are always falling down through the hole into the blade guides. Eh, I probably won't.
I was talking about the legs.

Back