Back in the saddle?

Raymond Richard

Forum Owner & Moderator
First knife I have made in over a year. Old age hit me pretty hard the last couple year. The knives I have been making are out of blades I've made over the years so the mystery steel I used then is an even bigger mystery now.

Attachments

• IMG_0314.JPG
    IMG_0314.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0315.JPG
    IMG_0315.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 81
Good to see you back at it Raymond! I like everything about that one, it all flows together perfectly. You have not lost your touch, that much is certain....:)

Nice to see your work again Ray - It's been awhile..
and know what you mean about getting hit hard - been fighting the Big C now for a few years.
Doing OK but the fatigue sets in and I tain't worth a crap for days - very frustrating and boring!

Ray, Chuck, I'm not too far behind you guys...

It's rare to feel good enough to work, but I always feel a little better *inside* when I do. ;) ... It's slow though and I really have to pace myself these days.

I hope our ailments improve. Take good care of yourselves big old buddies. I'll keep trying... :)

Last edited:
Nice to see your work again Ray - It's been awhile..
and know what you mean about getting hit hard - been fighting the Big C now for a few years.
Doing OK but the fatigue sets in and I tain't worth a crap for days - very frustrating and boring!

Chuck, It has been awhile. Good to see you around also. Seems like once you hit a certain age life revolves around going to medical appoints. The golden years! I'm looking forward to the old made new.

Thanks for the welcome back!

My time in the saddle this go round will be short lived. Getting my right wrist fuzed, the one that got worn out by swinging a hammer. Hope to have that done next month. I need to start training myself on how to do a few important things left handed.

nice to see you back around here, ray. always an inspiration! i hope it feels good to be back at it, even if its just for a knife or two. good luck with the surgery!

Hi Raymond,
Good to see you post again. Thats a good looking knife.
Let me know your wrist comes out. I may need that too someday at this rate.

Went to the VA Hospital in Portland yesterday with the intent of setting up a date for the wrist surgery. The surgeon I met with suggested that I try a cortisone shot in the wrist and see if that helps. I've been dealing with the VA now for 8 years concerning my right hand and wrist. This was the first time the cortisone shot was suggested. I went for the shot and the wrist feels fine but am still taking the pain pills I was given for it to. Thoughts of trying some hand forging now keep entering my head but plan to hold off for another week. Still thinking about getting back on the horse.

Bruce, maybe the cortisone shots would help you. Remember your still a kid.

Went to the VA Hospital in Portland yesterday with the intent of setting up a date for the wrist surgery. The surgeon I met with suggested that I try a cortisone shot in the wrist and see if that helps. I've been dealing with the VA now for 8 years concerning my right hand and wrist. This was the first time the cortisone shot was suggested. I went for the shot and the wrist feels fine but am still taking the pain pills I was given for it to. Thoughts of trying some hand forging now keep entering my head but plan to hold off for another week. Still thinking about getting back on the horse.

Bruce, maybe the cortisone shots would help you. Remember your still a kid.

Ray,
Yes,wait at least a week after getting the cortisone shot before using your wrist hard. I've had many of those shots over the years in various joints and realy get a lot of relief from it. I got one in my right elbow just last week or I would not have been able to hand rub the blade on my most recent finished knife.

Hi Ray, it sucks getting these age defects. Give careful thought to hammering with the wrist feeling better after the shot. Got a shot in my hand last month and the doc said no vibration (power tools, etc) cause if would cause the cortisone to disperse and be less affective where he put it.

Hi Raymond, good to see you Sir. The golden years; getting up in the morning waiting to see if another body part falls off that day. :what!:

You just need to down shift a couple of gears and keep on trucking. I start at 10 AM instead of 7 like I did for 40 years.

Regards, Fred

Hi Ray,,,Arlo here,,,Just wanted to let you know how much I respect you and your work. Your sense of humor and timing is fun too.
I hope that you get to feeling good enough to do the work you enjoy.
I feel privileged to have a couple of those beauties.
Please take care, and keep in touch.
Talk soon,,,,Arlo

Back