Back in the saddle?

Beauty! What did you use to stain the antler?

[h=2]"fiebings oil leather dye" Pretty sure its the dark walnut I use.[/h]One thing I have discovered with the dying process is it does not always work the same way all the time.

Arlo, Good to see you around. As of yet not sure if I will be doing the KWKC Show. I've got my 50 year high school class reunion to go to plus an invitation to do some ocean fishing down in San Diego with an old fishing buddy of mine. Seem to recall both these things were about the same time period.

Here's one I've got close to finished now. Still need to put the edge on it and make a sheath for it. I'd forgot to mention the blade on this one is from a 32 Studebaker leaf spring. The knife is 10" overall.

Attachments

• IMG_0322.JPG
    IMG_0322.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0321.JPG
    IMG_0321.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 16
great work. i know what you mean about old age. my last 5 years have been rough.i have had 2 knee replacements, and now a broken finger from working on my wife's car. writers must write painters must paint and i must make metal dust. Tai's got a point doing what you love is great medicine . glad your back

Love your work, Ray. Been a long time since I've been somewhere thatI could see your name attached to a post. Guess I'm in the wrong places!:3:

Great looking knives, sir.

Matthew, You haven't been in the wrong place. I haven't been making for over a year.

First time in over a year I had the forge running and was able to do some hand forging today! Had a big smile on my face. Just need to use my head and not over do. If I had any rhythm I'd do the funky chicken dance!

Good to see your work again Ray! I haven't been up to snuff either, and I also have been able to get the forge going in the last few months. Feels good! I've missed Y'all! I miss the stories about Clinton too! I pulled out my Tai and Chuck collaboration knife and sheath I purchased long ago, and realized how much I miss the old crew

Good to see your work again Ray! I haven't been up to snuff either, and I also have been able to get the forge going in the last few months. Feels good! I've missed Y'all! I miss the stories about Clinton too! I pulled out my Tai and Chuck collaboration knife and sheath I purchased long ago, and realized how much I miss the old crew

I've had 3 bulls since Clinton was king. He did make some good burger. Lucky is the new bull at 2 years old. I hear from Tai several times a week. Actually Chuck had posted on this thread a couple weeks ago. Chuck is fighting cancer now. I emailed him a week or more ago but have not heard back. Good to see you around. I really enjoyed the old Outpost although I am enjoying this forum now. Hope you manage to stay healthy.

I hear from Ray several times a day. :)

... pretty much every thought that goes through his old bald head.

Last edited:
If I had any rhythm I'd do the funky chicken dance!
That I have to see. Be sure to make a video for those of us who are entertained by that sort of thing.
I had my Pirate's Dagger out the other day showing it off to my dad. He was very impressed with your forging abilities.
When you hold the knife in your hand it automatically makes you say "AAAAAAARRRRRRGH!"

That I have to see. Be sure to make a video for those of us who are entertained by that sort of thing.
I had my Pirate's Dagger out the other day showing it off to my dad. He was very impressed with your forging abilities.
When you hold the knife in your hand it automatically makes you say "AAAAAAARRRRRRGH!"

Mark, I still need to work on my moves but here's an instructional video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH2gGu8cGHY If you look real close Tai is hiding in the crowd.

Back