Aussie Slip Joint

Cubane

Thought I might show off this one to everybody. It was a custom order for a fellow Aussie. Although it wasn't until he had the knife that we realised it ended up being in Aussie colours Green and Gold. Nessmuk shaped blade and also obviously influenced by Ray Cover's knives.

This one ended up being the first slip joint with my new method of cutting the nail nicks in. Another feature is the screw together construction, which I quite like. I improved it over my first screw together slip joint as I used pins as well as screws to hold the spring in place and aligned. I also having been improving the tolerance on how flush I can get the spring to sit with the liners. On this one there is less than 0.0005 inches difference in the open, closed and half stop positions.

- 3/32" ATS-34 blade and spring
- Flat ground blade
- Brass liners, milled to prevent scratches on the tang
- Turquoise Canvas Micarta
- Half Stop
- Just over 3" closed
- 2" blade

aussie_f.jpg

aussie_b.jpg

Thanks for looking
Alistair

I like it! 2thumbs I'm building all of mine with screws also. Can't pin titanium and make it look right huh1

I like everything about that knife. The colors realy compliment each other. I like the thick liners also, are they screwd on also?, is that why they are as thick as they are?

I like everything about that knife. The colors realy compliment each other. I like the thick liners also, are they screwd on also?, is that why they are as thick as they are?

Yes I used thicker material than usual since everything is screw together. The whole knife can be disassembled. The colour combination on that knife really did turn out well. I can't claim credit for that though, the customer picked out that micarta from the Sheffield supply catalog.

Alistair

Nice one Alistair!

Can you me what thickness the brass liners are on this one?

What thickness do you normally use or prefer?

I have found a source for brass sheet offcuts of various thickness's and will buy common used thickness's.

Cheers.

Nice one Alistair!

Can you me what thickness the brass liners are on this one?

What thickness do you normally use or prefer?

I have found a source for brass sheet offcuts of various thickness's and will buy common used thickness's.

Cheers.

I used thicker than usual brass on those liners as it is screw together, it was 0.055" I think, I was going to get 0.050" but they didn't have any so I went for the next size up. I wanted a bit more support for the threads. I usually use 0.040" sheet which is ~1mm. Now that I am trying some smaller knives I am considering 0.030". Might also use that for some shadow pattern knives with liners.

Alistair

Hey Ali, that is a fine looking knife. I am looking forward to your tutorial at the Symposium in September:D
Cheers Keith

Back