Attaching steel to copper

believerjoe

I am still learning how to make knives, but I tend to design as I go and then make mods after time. Just a hobby and not selling anything. I decided to file out a star in 1095 and wanted to attach to this copper piece. Will JB Weld hold it fine, or do I need to also drill a hole and pin it? Other ideas. It is hidden tang, but the tang does not go all the way to the end of the knife. Appreciate any ideas.

Attachments

• 2E0BDE2B-DE5D-4C8C-9E2A-E15A79E73677.jpeg
    2E0BDE2B-DE5D-4C8C-9E2A-E15A79E73677.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
It will not take as much shock or shearing force if you just use JB weld even though it’s tough stuff. Plus, a domed pin in the middle of the star would look cool.

Why not drill and countersink the center of the star, then filework the head of a screw.....then you have a mechanical method of attachment which would be far more secure then glue, a pin, or both.... and it would add "wow factor". ;)

Thanks guys. I never even thought about an actual screw. I could mess that up, but sounds like an idea. I would not mind the head being part of the design. I like a little rustic anyways. Let’s see what I can do.

Ed's got the best idea yet - countersink the star. You might consider using a torq head screw and fitted flush with the star. The torq would give a star look to the center of the big star. Not exact, but still might look good.

I went ahead with what I could find and yes ways to improve, but this suits my style nicely. I still need to file down the little bit of protruding screw head. It did not go in perfectly straight, but it is not going anywhere ever! Thanks for the ideas. I do know I could have hid the screw head, but wanted it to show. B81242A0-6C24-4CF6-B6CA-5ADD3B55C8AC.jpeg

Attachments

• 7635B723-42CB-4481-A04E-017E42C8E33E.jpeg
    7635B723-42CB-4481-A04E-017E42C8E33E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
I looked, and I don't have any photos of screw head filework that I've done..... I'm sure others here will have some.....and hopefully post them for you. I hear ya on the "new glasses"..... I've been wearing "cheater" safety glasses in the shop for years now.... I'm up to 2.0 on the magnifier. :)

I assume you've not done filework? Really, it's just needle files and your imagination......and making sure everything is even and equal throughout. ;)

Just stick a couple of screws into a piece of wood and practice some file work. If you don't like it, no harm, no foul.

I have done some filework, just not as precise as some of you. I will probably do this as a finishing touch. I like to add on as much as I can to learn.

Back