Attaching steel to copper

I am still learning how to make knives, but I tend to design as I go and then make mods after time. Just a hobby and not selling anything. I decided to file out a star in 1095 and wanted to attach to this copper piece. Will JB Weld hold it fine, or do I need to also drill a hole and pin it? Other ideas. It is hidden tang, but the tang does not go all the way to the end of the knife. Appreciate any ideas.

Attachments

Chris Railey

KNIFE MAKER
It will not take as much shock or shearing force if you just use JB weld even though it’s tough stuff. Plus, a domed pin in the middle of the star would look cool.

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Why not drill and countersink the center of the star, then filework the head of a screw.....then you have a mechanical method of attachment which would be far more secure then glue, a pin, or both.... and it would add "wow factor". ;)

Thanks guys. I never even thought about an actual screw. I could mess that up, but sounds like an idea. I would not mind the head being part of the design. I like a little rustic anyways. Let’s see what I can do.

KenH

Ed's got the best idea yet - countersink the star. You might consider using a torq head screw and fitted flush with the star. The torq would give a star look to the center of the big star. Not exact, but still might look good.

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
I looked, and I don't have any photos of screw head filework that I've done..... I'm sure others here will have some.....and hopefully post them for you. I hear ya on the "new glasses"..... I've been wearing "cheater" safety glasses in the shop for years now.... I'm up to 2.0 on the magnifier. :)

I assume you've not done filework? Really, it's just needle files and your imagination......and making sure everything is even and equal throughout. ;)

Drew Riley

Just stick a couple of screws into a piece of wood and practice some file work. If you don't like it, no harm, no foul.

I have done some filework, just not as precise as some of you. I will probably do this as a finishing touch. I like to add on as much as I can to learn.