Anyone going to the Southern Alberta hammer-in this weekend?

Travis Fry

Jim Clow, AKA Boatbuilder, is graciously hosting the 3rd annual Southern Alberta Hammer-in this weekend at his place. Scheduled to be demonstrating are Bruce Bump, Ed Caffrey, J. Neilson, and Steve Kelly. With that lineup, there's no way I'm missing!

Anyone else going to be there?

I got an e-mail from Rod Nielsen where he told me he would be at a hammer-in this week so I figure he will be there.

Yes, Rod talked to me about it. I wish I could handle the drive over and then take the standing that would be involved. I understand it's been a great affair for the past two years. He promised me a piece- he didn't say how big- of cable Damascus. Frank

I'm honored to be included in the line-up. Looking forward to meeting some of you guys after rubbing shoulders on-line for so long.
I dont think Ed Caffrey and Steve Kelly are able to make it this year. Ed is scheduled for a trip to the Mayo Clinic and Steve is swamped with orders. That said we are have a replacement, ABS MasterSmith Steve Culver. Steve won "Best of the Rest" with his cut n shoot at Blade this year. He is a wealth of information and a good communicator too.

If anybody has a specific question or problem please bring your knife with you. I plan to do a big wheel and small wheel hollow grind demo and some feathering process on a mosaic billet or two. I've never cleaved mosaic so it should be informative for me too. Also accordian cutting, flattening and blanchard grinding. Jim has an 80 ton press to play with. Yikes!

Yes there is a bit of a line up of changes in demonstrators as Bruce explained. We are really excited to have J.Neilson back and to get Bruce Bump and Steve Culver to come show their skills. Looks like we are going to have a full house again this year. Should be another great time and learning experience. Also have Dana Hackney coming again and I'm sure we can pry some great knife making info out of him.

Frank- Ill remind Rod to bring you a piece of cable Damascus. I'll Blanchard grind it to save you some grinding time.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again this year. Should be fun.

Jim

Thanks Jim ! Sure wish I could make it. I was sorry to hear why you couldn't make the show here. It allowed me to have a table with the group rather than someplace else in the hall. The table director promised your table would go back to you next year and hoped to still fit me in with the group. Frank.

Man, sounds like fun.
Not too big with some serious talent!
Too far from Lafayette Travis, but insure the weather is better :).
Dozier

This event was a few weeks ago but I'm still thinking about how much fun it was. I found some of the images on my camera and thought they would look good here.

From left to right are our best buds Dana and Sandy Hackney, Jim and Bev Clow and Kaye and myself standing on the back porch or Jim and Bevs beautiful home just before we headed back home. They took us in like family and fed us like royalty.

IMG_3295_zpsdba74ec9.jpg

IMG_3293_zps21bf8013.jpg

IMG_3291_zpsd8c6e5d4.jpg

IMG_3290_zpse14c2bfc.jpg

IMG_3286_zps3fb773ce.jpg

IMG_3284_zpsfab9cf68.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a shot of Jim Clow and myself standing next to the infamous "Orange Crush" forging press. It took some getting used to but the 80 tons comes in handy for reducing a hot billet in a hurry.
IMG_3169_zps0167b3e7.jpg

IMG_3167_zps9becda6f.jpg

IMG_3166_zpsb2263f11.jpg

Last edited:
Back