Anvil price

I don’t own one. Really don’t need one. But, a good deal is a good deal. Next time.

If you want into a useable anvil without much cash outlay, look into Atlas Knife and Tool's Knifemaker anvil. It's only about 67 lbs., but it's basically sawyer's pattern with all the weight under the sweet spot.

I agree with Chris. I looked for a long time for a used anvil and they were awful and outrageously priced. I ended up buying a 110lb Kanca, and it has been awesome. Forging is probably my favorite part of knife making.

Last edited:
Fifteen or so years ago when I was first getting curious about knife making, I bought a 5" diameter round of 52100. It weighs about 40 pounds and so far has worked well for my small anvil needs. I think I paid $20.00 for it.

The thing that makes me moan was the guy I bought that 52100 round from, also had a 75 pound standard anvil with really good rebound for like 35-40 dollars. It's exact weight and price escape me, but that's pretty close. I wasn't working at the time so I said no. :oops:

Dennis based on your pics, that is about as pristine of a used anvil as I have seen. Great flat top edge is almost immaculate, a few hammer marks from someone who didn't know what they were doing up towards the horn!

If I had to have ventured a guess I would have said some where north, of $400 - 450. Maybe not $600 but then again think of it this way that is only another $150.00 north of what I was thinking!!

You are in an area where you need to watch estate and local FB marketplace, or craigslist.

Finally got a pic of mine. Damn Photobucket has locked me out of all my pics!! Had to polish the surface and the edges are rounded, no chips but rounded!! I gave $400 for this one and drove around 200 miles round trip to pick it up!!

dTLqO1H.jpg

Last edited:
Boss Dawg sells a very nice knife making anvil too. I believe he and a friend designed it. If I did not have a couple I would give his a try for making knives.

If my Dad hadn't givin me the one I have I think I would have bought an NC 70 pound Sugar anvil. Around 300 bucks last I knew?

There are two Peter Wrights for sale in the Salt Lake area. One is 156 lbs, the other is 240 lbs. Probably over-priced, but aren't they all?
If anyone's interested I'll PM the links

Anvils seem to have started back down in price. They were getting $5 to $6 per pound for decent shape branded anvil. They now seem to be running $4 to $5 fairly often and beat up anvils are around $3.50/lb. I expect the market to continue to loosen up as the early FIF fans that drove up the price decide forging isn’t for them and they exit the hobby.

I have a. 192 lb Arm and Hammer made in Columbus oh at the turn of the century , picked it up at an auction for 375 . My first anvil is a Peter Wright 152 lb picked up for 400 . I love the A and H.

Anvils seem to have started back down in price. They were getting $5 to $6 per pound for decent shape branded anvil. They now seem to be running $4 to $5 fairly often and beat up anvils are around $3.50/lb. I expect the market to continue to loosen up as the early FIF fans that drove up the price decide forging isn’t for them and they exit the hobby.

I'm hoping to find me a discounted Hydraulic press because of all the FiF exfans!! I have an old log splitter that I want to make a press with but finding usable steel in my area is impossible lately!! And the time and lack of knowledge. Easy concept, scary potential!!

Gliden 07 try a scrap yard , you never know.

There was one very close to my house we would go to on Saturdays and get all kinds of stuff CHEAP!!! Unfortunately they sold it a few years back and won't let anyone in the yard anymore. I told them I would sign a wavier to release them from any responsibility if I was hurt, they told me it was against company and insurance policy. Their full of $#!%!!! They just don't want to be bothered with hobbyist! The other one that is relitivly close same story. Lawyers and Insurance Companies ruined this country!!

Back