Antler question

Denny Eller

I have several sets of whitetail antlers that have some really nice crowns. Unfortunately there is practically no color left in them. Anyone know of a way to color/dye or otherwise try to bring back some character to them?

You may try leather dye, I have played around with it on scraps and it will color it and looks ok. I have talked to Michael at Woodlab.biz and he has dyed and stabilized antler, and I been going to send him some to try. He does a fine job on wood, so I am sure antler would look fine also. Another thing is potassium propanganate? (not sure on spelling) I have never tried it, but I am sure someone else will chime in on it.
hope this helps

Google, potassium pergament, it is used as an oxidizer in cleaning up wells and ponds. It will turn the bone or antler brown depending on how its used and to what degree. A word of caution it turns everything brown skin, hands, clothes and it will not wash out, if you get it on you its wash and wear. So it is best to use gloves. It mixes with water to make a liquid and looks purple, however as it dries it goes to a rusty brown. A quick buff with a rag knocks off any of the rusty looking residue. Then it is up to you by the amount of coats you apply and how you buff out the color you achive!

It is getting harder to find because no one wants to ship it and can only be shipped by ground after the accident on the plane in the Everglades, (no air shipment for oxidizers)!

Here is a link to a company that sells it. Go to chemicals and then to the P's and you will find it.

http://http://secure.sciencecompany.com/Chemicals-C665.aspx

However you can buy potassium pergament off of EBay cheaper, also in the powder form.

I have had limited success with oil based paints like artists use, also some with oil based dyes, as well as letting it sit submerged in coffee or tea for an extended period. The problem with the liquid is that the antler needs to thoroughly dry again.
Below are pictures of an antler that was a pure white shed when I started. Although I loved the character of the popcorn on the antler, it had way too much popcorn on it to be comfortable as a handle. I started with a base coat of black oil paint rubbed it on and wiped it down to a look I liked. Then I buffed with 220 and a greenie pad to remove some of the texture/popcorn. Those areas became white; it was then treated with potassium pergament. The brown color is the result of that treatment. I them buffed lightly with a greenie pad again and sealed with CA (superglue). When I put the handle to the knife I will polish again and bring more of the white back into the handle. That will give me a contrast of the black, brown and white against one another and then seal again with CA. Its kind of like painting a picture the background is done first.

Click thumbnail for larger view:

Hope this info helps!

Last edited:
JD thank you very much

Billy, thanks a lot. I checked out the link at Science Co. and Potassium Permnanganate looks like just the ticket. If I can get my antlers to look half as good as the ones you have done I'll be a happy camper. I have a half dozen crowns and some really good rolls to cut out of these antlers (and tips) so I'll first experiment on a small piece to get the feel for it. My brother-in-law and I are going to put out some feed a couple of weeks before the bucks start shedding next January and hope to find some good sheds before the field mice get to them. Thanks again for your help and Happy New Year.

If your interested, we dye and stabilize antler and bone all the time. Look at our photo gallery to see some samples. We also have some inventory of Elk and Red Deer available.

Thanks, Bert
Dutchman Stabilizers, LLC
1123 Kelso Rd.
Mitchell, IN 47446

Back in the late Eighties, I was working at a knife retail store. Case Knives had come out with the line of stag handles on the pocket knives and they had a nice honey color. Sometimes they would come in not so nice and would be too white, so we (at the store) would take a propane torch and lightly flame the stag to give it that honey color. And when I say lightly, I mean LIGHTLY. Then just rub it down to polish. I have done this many times with good results and it is very fast to do.

I just did an elk antler. I dyed the antler with a medium brown oil based leather dye. I then applied a combination of leather antiquing and highlights. I then took some 600 grit paper and sanded the high spots very gently. You just have to play with it to get the desired effect.

Back