Another Mexican loop sheath

Cliff Fendley

Just finished this knife and rig, They are a different color but thought I'd put them together for a photo. The gun rig is a custom order and the knife and sheath I just finished for Blade show.
DSCN2351.jpg

Very nice, I hope to be that good someday!!

I am planning on building a rig like that for my Ruger single six!!

Hi Cliff, Very nice job. I defiantly will stop by your table and chat with you a few minutes. One thing i notice from the picture is how soft that leather appears with a satin type finish.

Very nice work, Cliff.

You definitely have been at this awhile and it shows. Excellent craftsmanship.

Larry

Just finished this knife and rig, They are a different color but thought I'd put them together for a photo. The gun rig is a custom order and the knife and sheath I just finished for Blade show.
DSCN2351.jpg

Cliff,
The last one you posted inspired me to try my hand at making one, only I didn't do it the "exact" same way. I didn't do the slits in the back part, where the sheath slides through it, and I'm adding a sting ray in-lay. I'm just about finished with it. Until now, all of my sheath's have been basic clam shell type, simple quick jobs that are very functional. But the first one of yours I saw made me want to try something I'd never done before, I should be done with it by the time we get to Blade (I hope), the only thing left to do to it is some gluing and sewing, and a little finish work. I had it almost ready to sew, when I realized it was going to end up entirely too thick, so I took it apart and replaced the top of the pancake with a thinner piece, on top of that will be the sting ray w/ window, it's looking a lot better than I thought I could do! Thanks for the inspiration! I'm checking into more of the leather work now as I've found out I do enjoy it. Like I needed to tackle more stuff with the limited time I have, either way I'm going to be busy, might as well have fun! Thanks Rex

Thanks for the complements everyone.

Rex, Hope to see you at Blade

Doug, on all my period type leather I don't like to use any of the shiny acrylic finishes is why it has a more satin look. I like to use my own home brewed stains to get the aged look. Some are done with walnut husks and water and some with walnut and saddlers oil. I put a top finish of Bag Kote on these two. I like the satin look I get with it.

Back