Anodizing Titanium

I enjoy neat trick I learned is to use wink rust remover to clean and remove any oxides on the surface of the titanium before etching. Wink is the company that makes it and it is the only rust removed that contains hydroflouric acid. One of the only acids that will react with titanium. This gives much better colors and allows you to redo colors if you mess up.

When anodizing Ti what type of material do you use for the hanger for your scales.

TITANIUM! Anything else, especially ferric materials, and things will get unpleasently exciting! :) (Nothing like sparks flying from a fluid container...and the ugly "burn holes" left behind)... yep! I did that....ONCE! :)

On the serious side, just make yourself some "hooks" from thin Ti... just about any thickness that you can bend into a "J" shape will work fine, or use Titanium "wire"....I picked up a handful of 1/8" Ti rod at the Blade Show a few years ago for a $20 bill....enough "hanger" material to last me a lifetime.

I enjoy neat trick I learned is to use wink rust remover to clean and remove any oxides on the surface of the titanium before etching. Wink is the company that makes it and it is the only rust removed that contains hydroflouric acid. One of the only acids that will react with titanium. This gives much better colors and allows you to redo colors if you mess up.

Whoa! Hydroflouric!!!!!!

Are you sure? That is really nasty nasty stuff. It will etc glass. If you get exposed bad enough, sometimes the cure is amputation!
Please read up on the health and safety wikipedia page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrofluoric_acid
If this really is HF, know exactly what you are doing. Please do be extremely careful...

Dan

Back