An appeal / Photobucket just committed suicide!

Stew

So photobucket has taken the decision to change their business model so that there is no free hosting of pictures on to forums and other 3rd party sites. It's odd because some folk don't seem affected where as others are. The charge is $400 per year which is criminal and akin to a ransom note.
As an example of what's happening, some tutorials now without pictures.
http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?26744-Handle-Broaches-with-simple-tools-WIP
http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?39956-My-5-00-light-box-build
http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?28920-USAKnifemakers-Stage-1-knife-kit-Tutorial
http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?7605-Converting-a-surface-grinder-to-Belts

I know there is always a risk that someone moves their pictures / closes their account but photobucket has done a blanket move to do that.My appeal is for folk with tutorials to have a check through and see if they are affected then move

their pictures to a different provider. I know it is unlikely to happen for all tutrutorials because this is going back years but it is worth a hope to save some!

Photobucket commited suicide a long time ago IMHO! Although I haven't seen this latest move! I currently have at least 300 photos or more on their site and that is where they have been sitting! Most days the site is so bad I can't even download them to get them back off the site!! Guess now I am going to have to step up efforts to try!!

It is absolute shame becuase at one time they were one of the best and easiest sites to use! :31:

EDIT:
I just went to Photobucket and it has been bad with adds but they are trying to force you out if you don't pay!! Now while you are closing one add three more pop-up making it virtually impossible to do anything. Gonna desperatley try and download all of my photo's!! Really stinks!

Last edited:
I noticed this yesterday..... I've been using photobucket for years to host photos I use on this, and many other forums...... at first I thought there had been a hack when I went to a post I'd made with images hosted by photobucket. But last night while browsing online I ran into an article about Photobucket no longer allowing photos to be used in "third party apps" (like forums), unless you pay their $38.99 PER MONTH! This morning I'm exploring other options, and have already downloaded ALL my photos from Photobucket. It almost feels like extortion to me.

If anybody finds an image hosting site that allows us to share images on the forums, please share it!

I'm finding postimage quite good Ed.

You're right - it is extortion and I'm amazed they are trying it. Their business is about to go down the can whereas if they had put a small charge on they may have got away with it.

I use smugmug, I had been using photobucket but during one of the many times it went down, I switched. Smugmug works better and it's fast, so far it's still free.

I'd forgotten about SmugMug! Great suggestion Mark!

I was also browsing that list of Lifewire this morning! You guys are ON TOP of it! :)

I'm looking pretty hard at imgur.com. free, let's you embed easily. I wonder if I could use my own website too? I'll look into that later.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Something I did not think about until now. Any photos you have posted through photobucket, will now, or soon, have broken links, and be gone. Photos in tutorials will vanish if they were posted via photobucket. This stinks and is a low blow and an insult to all who patronized these SOB's.

Something I did not think about until now. Any photos you have posted through photobucket, will now, or soon, have broken links, and be gone. Photos in tutorials will vanish if they were posted via photobucket. This stinks and is a low blow and an insult to all who patronized these SOB's.

That was exactly my point in the first post - look at the links I posted there.

Well, look at that - this new software allows me to paste directly to a post. I'm sure I missed something somewhere, but when I went to SmugMug site and tried to sign up, this is the screen I got. Even the "basic" is $4/mo! Actually $6/mo if they bill monthly. Where did I miss? As long as Boss has got the storage space, I REALLY like hosting them here so the links never get broke. Even if from my computer, the directories could change over time breaking the link.

upload_2017-7-2_21-53-27.png

I'm thinking maybe going with imgur. Anyone know any cons to using them?

I just signed up for Smugmug. I noticed awhile back that photobucket was running very slowly. I thought it was my bad internet connection at home, but I used the high speed internet at my wife's store and had the same issues. The ads that popped up seemed more like spam than anything else. Photobucket was great when it worked smoothly, but went down hill quickly. Does anyone know if Smugmug has a mobile app?

I went with PostImage..... I downloaded all my pics from photobucket, and then uploaded them to PostImage. My Signature/Banner is hosted there now. I looked at a bunch of different outifts, and I guess they are getting smart.... seems that every one of them with the exception of PostImage charges for "third party hosting".....which is what we do when posting pics to the forums.

Ok, yes Smug Mug does have a mobile app, and I guess I signed up for the free trial period. The $4 a month plan looks like it will do everything I would ever want, and more. Just need to decide if it's worth it. The only thing I don't like about hosting on this site is that the images are thumbnails that need to be clicked. Not really a big deal, but nicer the other way.

What is the advantage of using a host site for pics? PCs have so much memory now I wear 'em out before I tap the memory. Isn't it just easier to load pics from your PC to knifedogs? Maybe I'm missing something....

If the forum host is kind/generous enough to allow users to upload images to their site, that is good. But if you wish to use that image elsewhere then it would be rude to link to the image on one forum for use in another forum. Eats up the first forum's bandwidth.

I've been using SmugMug for over a decade. It gives me security control over who can see and use the images. Originally I used it to share pics of the kids and family events, etc securely with family spread all over the country. They could view them when they wished, download them, and even print pictures and stuff with the images on them. Then I started using it as a place to store/link to images that I posted to various forums.

Back