An appeal / Photobucket just committed suicide!

If the forum host is kind/generous enough to allow users to upload images to their site, that is good. But if you wish to use that image elsewhere then it would be rude to link to the image on one forum for use in another forum. Eats up the first forum's bandwidth.

I've been using SmugMug for over a decade. It gives me security control over who can see and use the images. Originally I used it to share pics of the kids and family events, etc securely with family spread all over the country. They could view them when they wished, download them, and even print pictures and stuff with the images on them. Then I started using it as a place to store/link to images that I posted to various forums.
Am I correct that the basic plan on smug mug allows for sharing to forums etc.?

Yep. Is what I have and use. Been a customer since 2005. Use it to host pics of family for family, web pics for the business, personal pics for forums, etc.

If the forum host is kind/generous enough to allow users to upload images to their site, that is good. But if you wish to use that image elsewhere then it would be rude to link to the image on one forum for use in another forum. Eats up the first forum's bandwidth.

A question here, If I upload from my PC to forum A to host on their site, then upload from my PC to forum B to host on their site - how does this use bandwidth on forum A?

I really like the idea of uploading photos to forum to host, I know that requires a LOTS of storage space (which is money), but prevents broken links better than most anything.

If Boss would prefer us to upload to a host site rather than to knifedogs to save on his storage costs, I'm happy to do that.

Ken H>

@LRB
ZERO ads of any kind. No spam email. Fast, rock solid service. Exceptional customer service. Security. I can set access levels/permissions down to the picture level. Can set up individual logins. Lots of other things.

Honestly, it probably is overkill for most people (myself included). But for a photographer it is the cat's meow. Can be used professionally as a place for customers to proof photo sessions and then buy pic pakages.

I'm not a photographer but I use it for a variety of purposes. I'm part computer person. I like having control over my own stuff online. I have several domains (personal and business) so I can have better access/control of my email and websites. I don't want to be at the mercy of GMail, HotMail, etc. even if they are free. Personally I'm willing to pay for the services I use rather than putting up with ads and lack of privacy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

@KenH
In that case, no harm no foul. There are people out there who will upload a picture here (forum A) with a post then when posting elsewhere (forum B) that may or may not allow uploading of pictures they link back to the original picture here. Then when someone views the picture on forum B the picture displayed actually comes from forum A and uses their (forum A) bandwidth.

I don't really know how much space we have here. I should, I just don't. If we ever need more drive space I will get it so hosting pic's here isn't a problem for use here. Hosting pic's here to link from anywhere is a problem - don't do that and we are good.

Boss: Thanks for the info, and I really like the idea of EVERYONE uploading photos to knifedog server -that way there's NEVER any broken links. Nothing is more frustrating than looking thru a thread and finding no pics, but broken links!

Just to clear something up on this posting to other sites. I post a photo in a thread here. I go to forum B, and find a discussion that seems like the thread I've posted a photo here would be good - is putting a link to the whole thread to another forum what you're talking about? Is that a no-no? I know I've posted links to a thread on knifedogs to other forums (guns, etc) and I do hope I wasn't doing a no-no. If so, I will NOT do it again.

I think it's when I upload a photo to knifedogs server, then just right click and select "copy image address", then paste that to forum B. That is a no-no and I can see why because the address that is copied is from knifedog.com which uses bandwidth and storage space.

Thanks again Boss - for having the BEST forum around.

Once an image is uploaded here to Knife Dogs... If it is just a link then there is no use of bandwidth. If the image is actually displayed on the other forum then it is using Knife Dog bandwidth to deliver the image to the other forum to be displayed.

Clear as mud? hehe

I just thought of something, hosting on knifedogs server, the photo never uses any more bandwidth, just takes storage space. "IF" the image is hosted on photobucket (or other photo sharing site), does it take bandwidth each time it's viewed by somebody who clicks on thumbnail to view photo? If so, then it's a tradeoff of bandwidth vs storage costs - is that a valid statement?

Kinda.

Hosted on knifedogs server and viewed on knifedogs forum... uses knifedogs bandwidth to display the image every time someone visits that knifedogs page. Not a problem, you are on their site and they are graciously offering to host.

Hosted on photobucket (or other photo sharing site)... uses photobucket bandwidth to send the image to knifedogs server then uses knifedogs bandwidth to display the image every time someone visits that knifedogs page. Not a problem, at least till photobucket got greedy/stupid and screwed over their customers and pretty much every forum on the web.

Hosted on knifedogs server and viewed on another forum... uses uses knifedogs bandwidth to send the image to other forum then uses other forum bandwidth to display the image every time someone visits that other forum page. Rude as you are using knifedog resources while visiting some other site.

Last edited:
Kinda.

Hosted on knifedogs server and viewed on knifedogs server... uses knifedogs bandwidth to display the image every time someone visits that knifedogs page. Not a problem, you are on their site and they are graciously offering to host.

Hosted on photobucket (or other photo sharing site)... uses photobucket bandwidth to send the image to knifedogs server then uses knifedogs bandwidth to display the image every time someone visits that knifedogs page. Not a problem, at least till photobucket got greedy/stupid and screwed over their customers and pretty much every forum on the web.

Hosted on knifedogs server and viewed on another forum... uses uses knifedogs bandwidth to send the image to other forum then uses other forum bandwidth to display the image every time someone visits that other forum page. Rude as you are using knifedog resources while visiting some other site.
I think you've just wrote the simplest, most clear explanation of how it all works I've seen. Thank you!

Ken H>

Was tipped off to this fix by the folks over at OFCC Forum (Ohioans for Concealed Carry)...

For those who use Firefox or Chrome, google "photobucket fix" and find that there is an add-in for those browsers that will allow you to see the pictures.

The one in the image below is the one I found on the Mozilla/Firefox plugin page. Seems to be working!

Edited message to uploaded the image instead of linking:
2017-08-31_14-31-05.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the information! I found a chrome addon called "fix embedded photobucket images"..... installed it, and now all the previous pics that I'd posted (specifically those in the Welding Forge WIP) are now visible! Glad somebody created/found a way to bypass the "end around" that Photobucket pulled.

Glad to be of service.

A real pity that someone hasn't come up with a server side solution yet.

Ed, thanks for that idea on ""fix embedded photobucket images" - it seems to work nicely.

edit: I see Ed got the idea of WY-Not... I missed that, so thank you WU-Not.

Ken H>

Was tipped off to this fix by the folks over at OFCC Forum (Ohioans for Concealed Carry)...

The one in the image below is the one I found on the Mozilla/Firefox plugin page. Seems to be working!

2017-08-31_14-31-05-jpg.427568

This is what is frustrating if the image uploads here is all i see. I took a screen shoot off my phone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170831-180252.png
    Screenshot_20170831-180252.png
    387.2 KB · Views: 7
Might be a setting on your phone to save plan bandwidth?

I uploaded the image to Knife Dogs rather than linking to it. Let us know if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the heads up on the "fix photobucket" Chrome extention. I loaded it and now all the "lost" photos are visible again!

Back