Amber stag finishing

burchtree

I had a stag round amber dyed at Culpeppers and I'm not sure how to finish it. Every time I touch it I get a little color off of it to my hands and I definitely can't send it to the customer like that. What do you all do with the stuff?

Hi Michael!

Before I work dyed stag, I take a rag soaked in acetone to it, and wipe/rub it down good. I will also do the same thing AFTER it's been finished out, let it sit for a day or two, and then put the final finish on it.

It's a lot like dealing with jigged bone.....lots of icky everywhere! :)

Good call. "Icky" is definitely the right word for it. Kinda embarrassing walking around with brown stain on your hand. :15:

Do they use potasium permangenate to dye their stag?? Ive been told its a propriatary secret, just curious what would come close?

God Bless
Mike

It's not potassium permanganate..... it's an oil based dye that they use. I've asked them a few times at the Blade Show, and that's the most information I've ever been able to eek out of them. :)

Hi Michael!

Before I work dyed stag, I take a rag soaked in acetone to it, and wipe/rub it down good. I will also do the same thing AFTER it's been finished out, let it sit for a day or two, and then put the final finish on it.

It's a lot like dealing with jigged bone.....lots of icky everywhere! :)

Then what is the best thing to use as a finish??

Then what is the best thing to use as a finish??

I assume you mean after the handle is completed.....such as a coating of some type? My answer to that is NONE. If anything, give it a light buff with pink no-scratch, clean it well, and apply a good coat of quality paste wax. Personally, I have never seen a stag handle that I though looked acceptable when an individual tried to put some type of "finish" product on it.....I'm talking about things like varnish, tung oil, lacquer, etc.

Stag is one of those materials that give a lot of people fits, simply because they don't realize just how much time and effort is required to finish it out well. For example, most wood handles can be taken to 600 grit and finished out, and they look great. With stag, it often requires going to 1200-1500 grit to get rid of visible scratch/sanding lines.

Any issue with the "oil base" stain causing problems with gluing the scales on? Do, or are they stabilized, or does the finish they use harden?

Back