Am I fooling myself?

Mark Barone

I'm ruining too many blades. am I fooling myself with my 1x30 and 4 x 36. Even as a beginner I can't accept an ok bevel or plunge line.
I want to perfect it. It seems like even the ceramic sanding belt wear down before I finish a bevel, the horsepower sucks and seems like that causes issues, don't get me started on leveling the table. I don't care if takes me a month but the tools seem to be holding me back. Is this what the third class passengers felt like on the Titanic.

I got my start using those same tools. I quickly bit the bullet and went for a 2x72.

IT MADE ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD!

If my 2x72 died today, I'd order another one within the hour.....if I wanted to keep making knives. And I'd spring for variable speed again without spending a single nanosecond thinking about it.

Its THE single most important and versatile piece of equipment in my shop. A good grinder won't magically make you a good knifemaker. You still need to have some skill and/or practice and learn how to use it. But it affords you your best opportunity to succeed.

All the natural skill in the world doesn't mean much if your tools aren't capable of allowing that skill to manifest itself or they fight you at every turn.

Uhhh.....pretty much. Honestly, 1 x 30 and 4 x 36 machines are simply not designed/built for grinding metals. They are intended for hobby level woodworkers. Even the belts produced for those machines are not intended for use on metal/steel. What you're dealing with is a "ceramic" belt designed and intended for use on wood...... that's why they seem to wear down so quickly.

Whether you choose to "upgrade" to a quality 2 x 72" machines, designed for knifemakers, is up to you, but I will state that nothing will improve your knives/grinds more rapidly then using a machine that is built/intended for the purpose.

Last edited:
a bigger grinder will make all the difference. Look into building your own by scrounging.
Ceramic belts will generally not work well on either of the grinders you have. They go too slow and the ceramic will simply go dull instead of breaking down and staying sharp as it wears. I'd suggest cheap AO or even zirc's (if you can find them in those sizes). They will be sharp through out their life.

You will have to use several to get the job done. Also a file guide and hand file can clean up things nicely and the skills gained from that will benefit you down the road.

Hang in there.

When I got going I used files and sand paper made ok knifes, then I built a filing jig made better knives, gave a member on here the jig hes still using it and making very nice stuff. You dont need all the fancy tools to make great knives but, to really up your game and if you plan on continuing down this dark path! You NEED A 2X72 of good quality! If you build dont cut corners if you buy one buy what you want and get good quality. I was told by a few of the members on here "BUY ONCE CRY ONCE!!" Its true! I have a friend that has been thru 4 or 5 differant sanding/grinding machines and he has more money into them as I do my 2X72 if not more! Plus odd size belts cost more adding to your cost!

Yeah I think my post was a rhetorical question now that I read it. I think the amount of money I have spent so far on trying to stay ahead, I could have had one already. Life lessens are great. In the meantime I will do my research and continue a few small projects. Thanks all

I will say this don't expect to build/buy a 2x72 and it is going to be like waving a magic wand! As with anything there is a learning curve. However having used a 1x30 and 4 x 36, you will have and idea of what not to do to. Those oh oh's you made on the little machine happen bigger and faster on a 2x72. However once you get past the learning curve there, you will kick yourself for not doing it sooner!!

All the knowledge you received from the machines can be applied to the 2x72 grinder!! However the difference is like night and day!

All of these guys are correct in what they are telling you (not that anyone needed me to say so). That being said, google how to use a chainsaw file for plunge lines and do full flat grinds until you are sure you want to drop $680 for the grizzly or $1800+ for better machines on what amounts to a hobby. That was the hardest choice for me but I am glad I did it.

All great points. Every knifemaker has been where you are and lived through the suffering.

I know that sick, nauseous feeling you get when you think of spending upwards of 2 grand on a grinder. Here’s the giant difference between spending that money on a grinder vs a toy: that grinder will pay for itself. It will pay for itself and it will make you money.

I started out with a 30 year old benchtop drill press amd a 1x30. Had I stayed there I’d still be there. A 2x72 with variable speed is a quantum leap forward. You don’t have to sell knives, you only have to let people know that you make them. Believe me- there is no knifemaker who can’t sell knives. Knives have built me the shop of my dreams.

Making knives costs money. It is very expensive. You need to sell knives to keep making them. So it’s a business even if it’s a hobby. But I can tell you this: it’s the only hobby I’ve ever had that pays for itself and then some.

All great points. Every knifemaker has been where you are and lived through the suffering.

I know that sick, nauseous feeling you get when you think of spending upwards of 2 grand on a grinder. Here’s the giant difference between spending that money on a grinder vs a toy: that grinder will pay for itself. It will pay for itself and it will make you money.

I started out with a 30 year old benchtop drill press amd a 1x30. Had I stayed there I’d still be there. A 2x72 with variable speed is a quantum leap forward. You don’t have to sell knives, you only have to let people know that you make them. Believe me- there is no knifemaker who can’t sell knives. Knives have built me the shop of my dreams.

Making knives costs money. It is very expensive. You need to sell knives to keep making them. So it’s a business even if it’s a hobby. But I can tell you this: it’s the only hobby I’ve ever had that pays for itself and then some.

Forget what I said...go with this he is more correcter.

It is definitely a sacrifice. Few people I know have that kind of cash laying around for something they aren't even sure they are going to need.

Tax return, borrow against 401k- you know... all of the terrible financial choices you should never do!

If you look at this as a business venture then your mindset changes.

I have re engineered my second below par new 4 x 36 wood sander as we do not have much choice in the UK ,there is not anywhere to see a more professional grinder working within miles.
I do not really see me selling knives, might sell a few so I either struggle with my STILL miss aligned 4x36 or travel the country looking for a 2x 42 with table and motor.
Anyone in the UK reading this with a genuine good grinder for sale can let me know if they wish.

If your good a scrounging you could probably build a good quality grinder cheap! That being said if you use a 3PH motor and Drive (VFD) and have to buy them that's close to 800 bucks alone if not more depending on HP of motor!

If your good a scrounging you could probably build a good quality grinder cheap! That being said if you use a 3PH motor and Drive (VFD) and have to buy them that's close to 800 bucks alone if not more depending on HP of motor!

Luckily the non-industrial motors and drives can be had for much less.

The KBAC drive and an Ironhorse (or similar) motor can be had for just north of $400. Still not cheap, but not the crazy price you’d expect if you went to your local industrial supplier.

The Chinese drives others have posted are in the $100 range. Combine that with a $130 Ironhorse motor, and going variable speed is a total no-brainer.

I haven’t heard anyone mention the GIB (Grinder In a Box) in a while. My understanding is you can put one together, complete, and still be in the Grizzly price range.

Luckily the non-industrial motors and drives can be had for much less.

The KBAC drive and an Ironhorse (or similar) motor can be had for just north of $400. Still not cheap, but not the crazy price you’d expect if you went to your local industrial supplier.

The Chinese drives others have posted are in the $100 range. Combine that with a $130 Ironhorse motor, and going variable speed is a total no-brainer.

I haven’t heard anyone mention the GIB (Grinder In a Box) in a while. My understanding is you can put ine together, complete, and still be in the Grizzly range.

Friend of mine did a GIB. It works GREAT! I bought his multi-platin for my Reeder Grinder it works GREAT too!! This is it just before I finished it. I still need to add the glass.20180903_183951.jpg

I started our trying to use a 1x30. Saw pretty quick that it wasn’t going to work for me. Got the No Weld Grinder plans from Boss Dog and built my own. You can build one for $500-$700 and it will be a huge improvement over a 1x30. That being said I’m saving my pennies for a TW90. :)

Cmon man!! The 4 by 36 mafia believes in you. Have you tried Supergrit? If not, you must. I think the belts aren’t bad, though I have limited experience. There was a contestant (and I think a champion) on forged in fire. I can’t remember his name, but he was an older guy and VERY VERY good. I really think he won, but anyway. He was a professional full time maker ... no doubt. He made two statements on the show that I will never forget. First he said something like - if I could give all the knife makers out there one piece of advice, it would be “don’t quit your day job”. Lol I loved it... 100% to the point. Later he made the comment that a “good” knife maker can walk in anybody’s shop and make a knife. I really wish that I could remember his name. He was a cool dude, and I guess I could be wrong, but I would bet my bottom dollar that he is prob an incredible blade smith.

I often think about it like this. I have three kids (1,2, and 4) ... a $3500 grinder is in the future, but I have to wait for the right time. However, in the mean time, if that old dude spent a few evenings under my carport with my old HF junk, I bet I’d be in awe with what he produces.

All that being said, I will have a grinder in the not-so-distant future.

PS if anyone knows the guy’s name, let me know. I would love to google him to see his work.

I started our trying to use a 1x30. Saw pretty quick that it wasn’t going to work for me. Got the No Weld Grinder plans from Boss Dog and built my own. You can build one for $500-$700 and it will be a huge improvement over a 1x30. That being said I’m saving my pennies for a TW90. :)

I did the same thing. I have a 3hp motor and use step pulleys for speed adjustment. I’m into mine about $400 +/-. It is not without flaw, but it’s a far cry from a 1x32.

Back