Alan Wood knives

Big Rick

Just like to show you guys in the US some what some of our knifemakers over here can do. first off tonite from my collection are some Alan Wood knives, just in case you do not know Alan is one of the premier knife makers in the UK
More to follow. Enjoy.

CIMG0157.jpg

CIMG0160.jpg

CIMG0158.jpg

CIMG0293.jpg

James, I was begining to wonder if no one over there appreciated his knives as there had been 164 veiwers and no comments. Alan is held in high esteem over her and is one of our best knifemakers, he does not have a website as he can sell all that he makes and his order book is always full. I don't know if you guys know of Ray Mears, he is very well know in Europe as as survival expert, Alan does a Woodlore knife for him and the waiting list is 10 years the knife often changes hands over here for between $650 and $750!! I will send you his email address so you can contact him.
I just received onother one yesterday which I will post later

Hi Big Rick, thanks for sharing your photos of Alan's knives. I like them a great deal and he thankfully stretches to various forms for his work (or perhaps your taste is nicely eclectic :)). I'm also familiar with Ray Mears, so this thread is a nice change of pace.

And your thread brought up another consideration for me - I've never really gone looking for knife forums in the UK or Europe at all; can you tell me whether there are venues similar to this in other parts of the globe? I'm kind of ashamed in a way, being part of the US-centric mindset! But then, we do have pretty much everything we could want and there's often little cause for us to look anywhere else to satisfy our interests. We too often take our bounty for granted. Or at least I do. I'd sure like to view and join any knife-related communities in Europe though should you know of any.

Finally, would you consider filling out your profile in a bit more detail? We would feel more open I believe, if we had more information about you. No, you needn't air your dirty laundry! :D But we'd surely like to know where you live and what you do. Clearly you're a pretty savvy collector; what else do you do?

Thanks again for sharing such a nice collection.

Good looking knives Big Rick. I visit British Blade Forums quite often and have always admired the work I have seen. Question - I have seen a lot of Scandinavian influence in the blades I have seen posted - is that the norm or just a current trend?

Denton, thanks for the British Blades forum headsup!

Dave, can I extend a warm welcome to British Blades, it's a nice friendly place with some superb work on display.
As for Big Rick, I think that's why some of the top makers such as Alan Wood have such a long waiting list, 'cos Rick buys them all :D
He has a magnificient collection of all sorts of knives (and he is a good guy as well)

Chris :)

Dave, Chris beat me to it and told you about British Blades. Chris is a good guy too and does some real nice stuff, just click on his link and you will see what I mean. I know what you mean about US knifemakers you have some of the finest in the world and in fact until I discovered the BB forum about a year ago I got almost all of my knives from the US. It is my aim to get a knife from a maker in every state in the US at this moment in time I have 39 states covered soon to be 42 as I'me expecting knives from Josh Smith, Phillip Patton and Charlie Edmondson real soon. I also ordered a knife from Kyle Royer but don't get that until Sept 2011. I will update my profile in the vey near future.
Hears a few knives that arrived this week. Enjoy!!

CIMG0359.jpg

And here's Alan Wood in more detail Cocobolo scales and RWL steel.

CIMG0351.jpg

Last edited:
Back