advertising

Ryan Minchew

I know most guys do forums, magazines, websites, ect for advertising. But has anyone gone out of the norm? Commercial, add on the community tv channel, radio, or maybe decal/logo on your vehicle? Any others?

I have my logo, website, phone number, and "The Montana Bladesmith" on the rear window of my truck topper. Its worked out well for me. I've sold several knives this year just by people seeing the information on my truck.

I've checked into both TV and radio....TV is WAY too expensive for me. I've done a few morning show spots on local morning radio stations, but none of them ever generated any sales. Lots of phone calls with questions, but no sales. After that I sort of lost interest in advertising via radio.

You know I had an add in Blade and for the cost.....Jaw Drop

Now I do a lot of mine on the web.

And than I do some on the web.

And the rest of it is done on the web.

Very little shows any more.......unsure the cost now days.

And send business cards with all knives.
Those guys have your knives in hand to show and talk about.
You know the old word of mouth thing....

Never hurts to get publicized any were - that's exsposure... and it's all good.

Could be a good thread.
See what others say.

Todd

I've been considering a vinyl sticker of some sort (not the redneck mailbox letters) with a logo and name for my truck window. May have to try it after reading your post.

I've thought also about having some hats made, maybe giving a few away with a knife purchase.

If you choose to do hats, spend the extra money and get good ones done. I have mine done on the heavy hat with the suede bill. My logo is embroidered on it with my website across the back.
I seem to sell almost as many as I give away!!

I had a radio advertisement that ran for about 2 weeks with about the same results as Ed had. Quit a few phone calls and questions but I dion't think any ever turned into sales. The neat thing that came from that is another local knife maker that I didn't even know was there heard my add and called me up and said we should get togethor and talk knives. He only lives about 30 miles away and like I said I didn't even know he was there. We met up a few times now and shared ideas.
My sister has a vinyl letter machine and we have been designing logos for my truck now for about a year but have'nt got them done yet. All my other advertising is pretty much the same as everyone else the web, business cards etc.

If you choose to do hats, spend the extra money and get good ones done. I have mine done on the heavy hat with the suede bill. My logo is embroidered on it with my website across the back.
I seem to sell almost as many as I give away!!

Didn't think about selling the hats..hmm sounds like it might work. And thanks for the advice.

I don't know if I live in a big enough town to even attempt radio. I do want to try the vinyl sticker though. I travel enough places it might catch someone's eye.

Some of the best advertising is free in the form of magazine articles. Have some great pictures and a bit of a story. Send a note to a known author offering yourself as a story candidate along with some pictures. It may be odd to you but it's common to them.

For the last 4 months I been doing a frrmers market for 5 hours one day a week. Sale shaven't been spectacular but I make a few bucks every week, selling mostly blacksmith knives and other items like BBQ tools I forge, The amazing thing is how many orders I have picked up from handing cards out and just talking to folks. Also hits on my website have tripled this summer.
I don't think i could buy this kinda advertising. Plus its an afternoon outta the shop talking with neighbors,.

The best marketing you can do is Target Marketing and Permission Marketing.

Target marketing is sent to a specific group of people...usually collectors.

Permission marketing occurs when those people...usually collectors give you permission to contact them whenever you feel you have something they will want.

Radio, TV and even Newspapers offer "shotgun" advertising. Your information will go to everyone with the Radio and TV on that station at that time. The Newspaper to everyone who subscribes. If you haven't been paying attention print, specifically Newspapers are taking a big hit. People are getting more and more of their news from the Internet.

Absolute best bang for your buck is a Website.

Allows you access world wide to collectors/buyers.

Professional grade photos are a must. Also...list your prices. Most people will not contact you directly to get a price. As they feel there might be some degree of "obligation" to buy or order something.

You can set up a mailing list for people to join (permission marketing).

Next best bang for your buck is an Article in a knife magazine.

There are a couple of ways to go about this.

Next bang for your buck...networking on Internet forums. Become a forum favorite will get you additional orders.

Hats T-Shirts, Coffee Mugs, Stickers, etc. are nice. However, great customer service and keeping in contact with potential clients will give you a much better return on investment.

I have a sticker in the back glass of my truck, and in the back side glass of my wifes Escape, they have got alot of questions ask, and some sales from them. Also do cards and a web site. But the best advertisement has been word of mouth, one happy customer will lead to another sooner or later. I thought about local radio, but cost was to high for me, also been thinking about the local classifieds, around hunting season. I have a few clients that I keep in contact with, and show them new pieces that I think may be of interest to them, that has done real well for me.

Gear2Survive.us

I have been in business for 5 years. Started with 30 knives and 40 dollars at a flea market. Now have a 6 x 8 trailer stacked with gear. Purvey for 4 makers , C.J. Debuel, Ellis Sloan, Charlie Rackstraw and Jim Craig. I expanded into making Rat Cutlery and Condor my biggest sellers.

I started advertising with tee shirts and car magnets. Both work very well. I made my own website and it sucked for a year. So I then signed up with Web.com and it has paid for itself easily each month.

I have learned to treat the 10.00 customer like the 100.00 one and it will all fall in place.

I just came out with my own survival pack system called G2S Survival Emergency Kit.

http://www.gear2survive.us/Gear2Survive.html

www.gear2survive.us

Thanks
Marc

I made up a bunch of refrigerator magnets with my "I buy Knives" cards attached, and stick them anywhere they may get attention. I hand them out at flea markets and auctions, with pretty goods results. With some fancy artwork I would think that they would work on the retail end also. People seem to keep fridge magnets longer than business cards.

I do a lot of mass market advertising, radio, TV, full page ads in local paper. But then I have a retail cutlery store and sharpening service in addition to making knives. As a small knife maker I don't see how this form of advertising would be cost effective. There is a book I recall reading called gorilla marketing. I don't remember who wrote it but I do remember it had a lot of great ideas for low/no cost marketing that gets results.

If you don't already have stickers in your windows of your vehicles, get them. If you don't have hats, jackets, t-shirt etc. to wear everytime you are out in public get them. And wear them everytime you go out. Hand out business cards to everyone who asks what you do.

Then, if you don't already go for breakfast at the local cafe, ihop, burger king/mcdonalds, or where ever it is that the seniors all collect to drink coffee start going and sitting around drinking coffee with the old folks. Most are very inquisitive and will ask what you do and bingo you get free advertisement that might lead to a knife sale. Even the little old ladies will remember you come christmas time when they are looking for something to get their son who just happens to hunt, fish, collect knives....you get the picture. Plus, keep your receipts and you can take it off come tax time as a business expense.

All the above post have been good. Traditional marketing, ie newspaper, radio, mags, etc. is falling by the wayside. Internet is the king for getting your product out there. It takes much more time advertising your product and business than it does making the knife. But, it's a necessary evil if you want to sell.

Good Luck!

This is great info fellas.

I am not even close to being there yet. But its good to see how you guys get the word out.

Good stuff here!

Chris

I have been in business for 5 years. Started with 30 knives and 40 dollars at a flea market. Now have a 6 x 8 trailer stacked with gear. Purvey for 4 makers , C.J. Debuel, Ellis Sloan, Charlie Rackstraw and Jim Craig. I expanded into making Rat Cutlery and Condor my biggest sellers.

I started advertising with tee shirts and car magnets. Both work very well. I made my own website and it sucked for a year. So I then signed up with Web.com and it has paid for itself easily each month.

I have learned to treat the 10.00 customer like the 100.00 one and it will all fall in place.

I just came out with my own survival pack system called G2S Survival Emergency Kit.

http://www.gear2survive.us/Gear2Survive.html

www.gear2survive.us

Thanks
Marc

Marc twisted my arm at the Farmers Market in Forest Park last year and wouldn't
let me go until I had purchased 4 knives from him. Thankfully he didn't beat me
for stopping by his table with the CRAZY female that came with me to the show.:D

Marauder:bud:

We have had fantastic success with FaceBook. I am excited to see KnifeDogs on there also. We can showcase our product at no cost. Build great relationships with other guys, especially new guys to the knife market.
I see a lot of knife makers on there and would be curious to their traffic.

DMS

I'm not even close to being ready to put my knives out in market yet and even further away from starting a business but very interesting and informative thread here. What are some of the companies that makes these embroided hats, etc and what can I expect the costs to be?

I have been very happy with Queensboro. http://www.queensboro.com/web/exec/index.php

They do a great job on the embroidery and have some really good deals on shirts. Hats can be a little expensive if you are looking for giveaways. Embroidered hats usually run $8-$10 each in small quantites. I have had some nice polo shirts and long sleeve button down shirts made for around $12.

Queensboro is good to deal with but they are another one who will send emails every other day with specials.

CCKnives112707%20138.jpg

CCKnives112707%20139.jpg

CCKnives112707%20141.jpg

Honestly, I am not sure the hats and shirts were a good move. Some people seem to think that we a factory knife company when we wear the Carter shirts.

Back