ABS Board knife- dagger

Kevin R. Cashen

Super Moderator
I just finished the knife that I was asked to make as a member of the board of directors of the American Bladesmith Society. The knife will be auctioned at the 2013 Blade Show in Atlanta with all proceeds going to benefit the ABS.
boarddagger2.jpg

It is a dagger based on designs taken from an Italian rapier of around 1550. The blade is 12.5 inches of twisted O-1/L6 320 layer damascus, marquenched using high and low temp salt baths. The fittings are fire blued steel with silver florets encrusted on the surface, all carving, engraving and encrusting was done by me. The handle is wrapped in iron wire, as was appropriate for the period, and all is bound tight on either end with twisted copper wire turks heads. Overall length is 18".

You will see more of this knife in the coming months as the ABS get professional photography done and gets the word out, but I just finished photographing it myself and thought I would give folks a sneak peek.

Last edited:
That's amazing! A real work of art!

I agree 100% what a work of art. That dagger would be a welcome addition to any collection

I'm glad to see you posting your work on here Kevin

I'm really at a loss for words here Kevin. That has got to be one of the most ornate, decorated and detailed knives of any category, let alone daggers. The amazing thing to me is it also is one of the most 'uncluttered' looking pieces I've ever seen, in spite of all the ornate details and embellishments. Everything just really works together and flows and it all looks like it has always been together as one piece. Not one single thing looks off or out of place. Really fantastic work and thanks for showing it.

I guess I'm not so much at a loss for words after all. :)

A perfect example of why you teach the dagger class and sit on the board !

Thanks for contributing your time and talent for the ABS. I appreciate that greatly :)

-Josh

I almost feel not worthy enough to comment on this. Very nicely done! That hilt is something else, most often the thing I notice first on a pattern welded blade is the pattern in the steel, I had to look twice to see it. Not that the pattern isn't great, but that hilt is what catches your eye. Very well done!

Zeb

Kevin,
Man this dagger has to be one of the greatest that I've ever seen. There isnt anything simple to accomplish on it anywhere.

The ABS should be very grateful. I hope it brings them the amount its truely valued at.

Museum Quality.

Kevin, - As an old timer in the knife game I have to say that this dagger is without a doubt one of the best ever - it has elegance, simplicity and authenticity- just breathtaking. I urge all makers that see this knife to take a long hard look as knives of this caliber are rare indeed. My best Fred

My jaw just hit the floor.

I'm going to leave this open for a few days so I can keep coming back to it.

That looks like its right out of the Borgia's Show on the Starz channel.

I don't know if they will be running it again this years? But that's era of weaponry.

As Bruce Bump stated, Truly a museum quality period piece of art in steel & leather.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back