A new forge

Never say never. As soon as you don't think you will need that rear port, you are going to need that rear port. :)
I cant even imagine doing a 2 ft blade let alone anything longer. My specialty is hunting knives or knives for meat production and for that I have length and to spare in this forge.

Never say never. As soon as you don't think you will need that rear port, you are going to need that rear port. :)
When i bought my first CNC mill I agonized over buying the rigid tap option...allows you to put a tap in a collet and tap like a maniac....I was tight on money...but eventually went for it....it was a few thousand upgrade....The second job I got in the shop had many tapped holes per part...I went from feeling like a spend-thrift to having amazing insight the day i quoted that job....lol.

Fortunately gruffs forge doesn't weigh 8 thousand pounds....lol...so if that day comes...it'll be simple!

Fortunately gruffs forge doesn't weigh 8 thousand pounds....lol...so if that day comes...it'll be simple!

The way I have made it, I can simply mark the floor height on the inside then remove the hold on bolts and the rear face comes off without disturbing the insulation. It will be a simple matter to cut out a rear port if I ever need one and when the face plate is reinstalled the kaowool can be cut and hit it with the rigidiser and we are away laughing again. Not having the port for now makes one less heat loss area is the way I am thinking. Seeing as I have individual flow controlls on each of the ports I can run the front two wide open (giving me a good 15 inches of direct heat and the rear burner will be at half throttle just to keep the end of the muffler tube in the game so to speak.

I got the ports welded in today but when I went to assemble the gas hoses etc it was to find that I have been sent the wrong parts so I got in touch with the supplier in Australia and he is sending the correct parts over with this weeks delivery I should get them about friday next week.
2eSXqd7l.jpg

I got the ports welded in today but when I went to assemble the gas hoses etc it was to find that I have been sent the wrong parts so I got in touch with the supplier in Australia and he is sending the correct parts over with this weeks delivery I should get them about friday next week.
2eSXqd7l.jpg
That is a beauty. I’d like one like tha sitting in my shop. I suspect it’s going to like propane.
I know we talked about the opening in the end for longer blades which you said you didn’t make. Should there be an opening in the back to vent some of the forces?
Obviously i’m not versed on these builds.

That is a beauty. I’d like one like tha sitting in my shop. I suspect it’s going to like propane.
I know we talked about the opening in the end for longer blades which you said you didn’t make. Should there be an opening in the back to vent some of the forces?
Obviously i’m not versed on these builds.
Not necessarily so OP. My preent one has a hinged heavy steel plate over the rear opening but it is always closed. There does need to be some free opening at the front though but that is controlled by the fire brick that I use to close off the heat loss.

I fired it up today to heat treat a blade and it got up to temperature in about half the time that the other forge did. I will keep the other one to do smaller tasks that it is better suited to.

Back