A Frontier still life...

ChuckBurrows

In 50 years of building knives and hawks this is the first spike hawk I've ever done, but now that I've got the bug so to speak it won't be the last.
cr-41-spikehawk-2013-01.jpg

cr-41-spikehawk-2013-02.jpg

cr-41-spikehawk-2013-03.jpg
This one is in fact a three way collaboration:
1) The iron head with steel bit was forged by mi compadre, the late Gib Guignard
2) The spike was handforged out of iron by another compadre and neighbor Jerry Rodri
3) Assembly, all decorative work, and aging were done by me - deco on the tiger striped maple handle includes: rawhide wraps, brass and iron tacks, brass wire.
The other items:
1) 28ga Smoothbore by Tom Stroh
2) Re-Handled English style scalper - the blade, hand forged by Gib Guignard, is made of original shear steel. Grip and deco by me
3) Powder Horn - original from SW Virginia area, has two dates scratched into it 1791 and 1825. I re-furbished it by repairing the cracks at the butt with rawhide, added a longer antler tip and the beaded strap.

Gorgeous looking. I love to just look at stuff like this. Being an old black powder nut, this stuff trips my trigger!

Chuck that is one amazing "still life". Your work has always fascinated me with the period correctness and attention to detail. Awesome, sir!

Thanks folks - this one even pickled me pink! Keep an eye out, I just finished up a sheath for the hawk - both ends. I'll be taking photos either later today or in the AM

Randy,
that is one nice set of equipment. Some of the frontier tribute or recreation stuff doesn't sit right with me (of course people from China probably think my imitation of their blades are silly as heck, too). I really like this set of stuff you have here. It looks solid and very attractive.
kevin

Back