A few hints and tips

Cubane

I was working on a fixed blade over the weekend (my first in 2 years) and when I was sanding the handle I remembered a little trick to stop the higher grades of sandpaper from tearing. Before I cut it up into strips I lay down a line of masking tape over the back of the paper and this stops the sandpaper from ripping.

Another trick I have learned is with the bucket of water I use to dip my knives in when grinding I'll add a touch of detergent. This will break the surface tension and stop anything from floating on the surface to get stuck on the blade when you pull it out again.

Alistair

One I will add for the water is also put a tablespoon of baking soda in with the detergent. The soda keeps down the flash rust if you are doing high carbon steel.

One I will add for the water is also put a tablespoon of baking soda in with the detergent. The soda keeps down the flash rust if you are doing high carbon steel.

I'll have to start doing this.. It sounds pretty helpful to us spare time makers who have to put our work aside til next weekend and find it covered in that flash rust.

Alistair

I was working on a fixed blade over the weekend (my first in 2 years) and when I was sanding the handle I remembered a little trick to stop the higher grades of sandpaper from tearing. Before I cut it up into strips I lay down a line of masking tape over the back of the paper and this stops the sandpaper from ripping.

Another trick I have learned is with the bucket of water I use to dip my knives in when grinding I'll add a touch of detergent. This will break the surface tension and stop anything from floating on the surface to get stuck on the blade when you pull it out again.

Alistair

I was just getting ready to ask why some pot detergent in their dip bucket. Thanks for answering that. I'll have to give it a try.

I like the idea of the masking tape on the back of the sandpaper.

Charlie

Back