A couple of long ones!

John M Cohea

I made these two pieces for my table last weekend in Little Rock,and boy did I have to do some talking about them,thet really drew a lot of interest from the crowd!Now for some details.Both are hafted in curly maple with a Tru Oil finish,and both have damascus blades.Both blades are around 6 inches long,and the hafts are 3 foot long.The warclub blade features forge laminated copper,and the fokos has been copper etched.Both the club and fokos have a stipped rawhide hand grip and textured copper bands as well.The warclub is my first,and has a lot going on with it,such as carving and stippling,a and a beaded dangle,that you can barely see peaking down at the bottom.It hangs from a mild steel twisted blaksmith's curl.The twisted curl at the top is a wrought iron nail,and it also features a "shoulder pad" that is leather covered in textured copper foil.There is also a textured copper cross on both sides of the club,as well as on the headcover.Thanks to Scott Roush for the fantastic photos!
Hope you enjoy the look at these,I sure had a blast making them!
Fokosweb.jpg

fokos_detailweb.jpg

fokos_sheathweb.jpg

warclubweb.jpg

warclubdetail_web.jpg

Wow!
These look really nice as table pieces, Were any weapons in this time period with handles this long?
I know the Genre was early 1800's Last of the Mohawk-ens, Nathaniel Pathfinder & friends and all that?
I love em! The halfting just looks to long to be functional?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

The short answer is yes.Check ou this link for info on the fokos: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepherd's_axe
and this one for the warclub: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunstock_war_club
What I have made here is simply my vision/version of these historical weapons.

I knew about the Gunstock Type weapon and really enjoyed it's portayal in the Last of the Mohawkians

Movie with the Mano e Mano of Chaniscook against Mogi "Spelling" after the former's son was killed by Mogi.

The "Shepard's axe staff I did not know about and coming from Romania stock from two plus generations ago was very interesting reading!

Thanks for the link.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Back