7" Bowie with some cool two-tone silky oak

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
I forged a few of these small to medium bowies awhile ago. Here's one I just finished in a bit of downtime between other works. It's a nice size for a pack knife or as a camp/field bowie. It's still not small but it is lean light and fast.

I really like this Silky Oak from our friend Mark at Burlsource. It works nice and finishes nice and it has a different look every way you look at it. The side view is different than the bottom and top and the end is different still. This piece is NOT dyed. It is a natural two-tone piece. I like how it's dark on top and light on bottom. Reminds me of how fish are colored. :)

Specs:
Hand forged from 1075 steel, clay quenched and etched and polished out a bit more than my usual.
11 1/2" overall, 7" blade, .215" thick at the ricasso
Heavily rounded spine and ricasso edge
False edge is not sharp (but it's pretty close)
Black g-10 guard
Black g-10 and bronze spacers
Stabilized silky oak handle
Checkered bronze finial

Please feel free to say what you like, don't like or even hate about it. (The two tone wood won't be for everyone. ;) )

Another signature bowie. Very well done.
Hey I saw a blade of yours the other day at Claudes house. Really crisp and clean work, you'll have to show us that one too.

Thanks for posting your thoughts guys. The feedback is appreciated.

I can't get over how crisp and clean your work is. Gives me motivation to try harder.

Mark, you're well on your way with the clean work too. Thank you.

Another signature bowie. Very well done.
Hey I saw a blade of yours the other day at Claudes house. Really crisp and clean work, you'll have to show us that one too.

Thanks Bruce! Yeah, I'll be finishing that one up this coming week. I'll post it up when it's done. Can't wait to see Claude's leather. Looking forward to seeing you in Seattle.

John will you tell us how you milled the spacer behind the guard, and the guard itself? It is very beautiful.

Thanks Duncan. The spacer is just filed, no milling at all. A little time and a little patience is all it takes. ;)

Thanks again all.

Back