4th Knife

Matt Gleash

I'm pretty sure this isn't going to end up in anyone's "private collection", but it is a knife, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I just need to make the black leather sheath and sharpen it. Any and all comments/critiques welcome! In other words, you aren't going to hurt my feelings! :p Thanks for looking! -Matt-

5/32 O-1 Just a hair under 10 inches OAL blade is 5 1/4" and handle is 4 5/8"
Micarta handle, red liners, stainless Corby bolts

knifepics009.jpg

knifepics010-1.jpg

knifepics011-1.jpg

knifepics012-1.jpg

Nice Kephart design, especially for a 4th knife!

It's difficult to tell from the photos, but you'll want to make sure the corners on your handles are nice and rounded. Use the knife for a while, and you'll see where any hotspots develop on your hand.

Also, go easy on the belt grinder (or whatever you're using) when shaping your handles. Handle material, including the micarta you used, is softer than your pin/bolt material, and will grind away faster than metal. You can see in the 4th photo down that the upper scale dips slightly between the bolts. This might have been intentional to give the handle more grip, I don't know. But it's easy to grind away too much in that area when shaping the handle.

That would be a great EDC!!!!!

I thought it might be a bit large, since I prefer a smaller knife for EDC, but I guess that's a matter of needs and preferences. Thanks!

Nice Kephart design, especially for a 4th knife!

It's difficult to tell from the photos, but you'll want to make sure the corners on your handles are nice and rounded. Use the knife for a while, and you'll see where any hotspots develop on your hand.

Also, go easy on the belt grinder (or whatever you're using) when shaping your handles. Handle material, including the micarta you used, is softer than your pin/bolt material, and will grind away faster than metal. You can see in the 4th photo down that the upper scale dips slightly between the bolts. This might have been intentional to give the handle more grip, I don't know. But it's easy to grind away too much in that area when shaping the handle.

No, that wasn't intentional.:eek: I see it now that you pointed it out. I'll keep that in mind for the future though. I should probably do more handle shaping with files and paperl, since the Bader just eats stuff, no matter what it is! Thanks for the compliments and the advise, they are appreciated! -Matt-

Matt,

You can shape most of the way on the Bader, then when you get close to the final shape switch to files and abrasive paper. When using the grinder on your bolts, watch the heat. The pins or bolts will heat up, scorching the epoxy and handle material, leaving a dark ring. I didn't see it on this knife, but just another thing to watch out for.

Best thing you can do with this knife is to get out and use it. Pay attention to how well it does/does not fit the hand, and make notes about what you do and don't like about the design, fit and finish, etc.

hi

i think its good . i read your words as show in up .I've got it and I agree because
These are very nice collection of knives.i like these kind of collection so much. a I have also several pictures with sticky notes attached we required these kind of bowieknife
Bowie-Knife-view3.jpg
I am one of the biggest fan of this type knife and have a collection of these weapons so as you .

thanks.

Back