26C3

Jeremy, thanks for the reply and the link. That's some very good information there. I'm planning on some kitchen slicers and I think this is a good steel to start with. Thanks again.
Bruce

I agree about the kitchen slicers...I've got some of the super thin pieces of 26C3 alpha sells. I think it was .40, I'm gonna try to heat treat them and keep them from warping!

Ok so you motivated me to test this out. I had four 12 inch pieces 2 inches wide .040 thick. I knew these would suck to try and quench. I didn't get any pictures of them right out of the quench but they looked like a banana. I quenched then quickly straightened them by hand with gloves then put them between 2 aluminium plates...3 of the 4 survived.

The one that didn't survive broke in half when trying to straighten..attached is a picture of the grain.
I can tell you this steel gets super hard...I tempered 2 times at 350. I don't have a Rockwell tester to tell you exactly how hard.20200124_221038-0.jpgresize20200127_101910-1209x1612.jpg

Thanks for the update, Jeremy. That is some small looking grain. To me, it looks just terrific. I'm going to be using .078 thickness, fired in my new (to me) kiln. Probably later this week. Life and farm keep getting in the way!
Great looking profiles on those blades, looks like the shape of my medium sized carver.!
P.S. If you look at my avatar, you'll see we have something in common.!

Last edited:
Cool, I followed the heat treat from that link I shared above. 1475, with a 10 min soak and quenched in fast oil. I have DT48 instad of parks 50. I like how hard this steel gets. I think I might order some more and see what kind of activity I get when shooting for a hamon. That's a nice looking bass...I haven't caught any that big since I lived in FL, much bigger down there than here lol

Back