2021 KITH Jones/Kingery

Heat treat done

I finished up the heat treat yesterday morning. I think it turned out OK. I don't have any way to tell other than a file. A file skates, so I'm going with it.

Obviously have some cleanup to do on it.

I like the forge, but I'm going to save up for a heat treat oven. Either that or build one.

I also started on the scales. Black G10 bolsters and Desert Ironwood handles. I'll post some pics when I get back from California. That will be Monday

Making progress. Dry fitted scales today. I do apologize. It's doubtful I'll be finished by the end of the month. But I should be close. Based on my current progress I'm thinking middle of next week. I still have a sheath to do in addition to finishing up the knife.

Has anyone used Armor All on G10 before? I tried it on the front of the G10 bolsters and it looked really nice. But not as much on the sides. Not bad, but just not as clean as on the front. I've heard people using WD-40, but I thought Armor all would be better. Now I'm not sure.

Tomorrow I should be able to finish cleaning up the blade and hopefully glue-up the scales the following day. If not sooner.

Going in the mail tomorrow. I decided to go with a mountain man style sheath. Overall I really like the final design and feel and will most likely make a few more (I mean knives not the sheath, I have made several of this style sheath, although I'll probably make the sheath too) . Sean, I hope you get to enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed making it for you. Let the watermelons beware.
20220129_141524.xx.jpg20220129_141844.xx.jpg20220201_215253.jpg20220201_215318.jpg

Well I'm sad to say I'm having more troubles with my build. I cracked a scale on the original Ironwood scales. So I put on a set of nice curly maple scales, with the G10 bolsters salvaged from the ironwood pair, and messed those up too. They ended up unaligned among other problems. Some that could be fixed. Others maybe/maybe not. Lesson learned...do not re-use suspect material.

So...to make this right, and I want to do it right, I need about another week. I have a set of Cocobolo scales that I intend to put on and skip the G10 bolsters. Just the scales.

I've also started on the sheath. So far so good on that.

Fred, you are sending me a beautiful knife and I want to make sure what I send you is my best work. I do apologize for all of the delays.

Nothing to worry about. Take the time you need, remember that we are doing this for fun, to showcase what we can do and maybe stretch our own limits a bit.

I received Fred's knife today and photos don't do it justice! It's a real beauty!

Two questions for you Fred. Firstly I'm not familiar with a Mountain style sheath. It's really cool and I like it a lot, but how do you wear it?
Secondly, the stippling at the top of the sheath. It is so fine...mighty fine actually.. How did you accomplish that?

Thanks so much

Thanks again Fred! and yours is in the works!

PS...I'll post some better photos later this week. It's such a cool knife I want to give it it's due.

I didn't notice the stippling on the sheath the first time. That is a really nice detail. Beautiful work!
I believe the knife and sheath can go under the belt, with the belt going through the slot. At least that's what I've seen in photos.

I didn't notice the stippling on the sheath the first time. That is a really nice detail. Beautiful work!
I believe the knife and sheath can go under the belt, with the belt going through the slot. At least that's what I've seen in photos.
Okay that makes sense.

Hey Sean, knife talk aside how is your wife doing? Has she been able to come home?
Yes Fred. She came home Monday from a physical rehab center. She is still quite weak, but doing much better. I'm not sure if I mentioned it before, but she had pneumonia. That's what put her in the hospital. Plus she has other breathing problems, including asthma, which complicated the pneumonia and prolonged her stay.

Thanks for asking. I will pass your thoughts on to her.

Yes it is worn under the belt cross draw fashion. Here are a couple photos from the net although the artist has it upside down, but to each their own.View attachment 80189View attachment 80190

That's a good idea, the "tightness" of the belt will help hold the knife in the sheath.

Sean, for your bolster issues. I do a lot of bolsters, too many.... Anyhow, I generally get either the left or right side cut and rough shaped. Then I do the other side to match. Once they are both close I use a pair of these visegrips to hold both sides together and then grind them down so they match perfectly. The visegrips work really well for metal bolsters - Keeps you from burning your fingers while grinding and keeps you from grinding your fingertips (ask me how I know...).

vg8r__1_large.jpg

That's a good idea, the "tightness" of the belt will help hold the knife in the sheath.

Sean, for your bolster issues. I do a lot of bolsters, too many.... Anyhow, I generally get either the left or right side cut and rough shaped. Then I do the other side to match. Once they are both close I use a pair of these visegrips to hold both sides together and then grind them down so they match perfectly. The visegrips work really well for metal bolsters - Keeps you from burning your fingers while grinding and keeps you from grinding your fingertips (ask me how I know...).

View attachment 80207
Thanks for the tip Chris

Yes Fred. She came home Monday from a physical rehab center. She is still quite weak, but doing much better. I'm not sure if I mentioned it before, but she had pneumonia. That's what put her in the hospital. Plus she has other breathing problems, including asthma, which complicated the pneumonia and prolonged her stay.

Thanks for asking. I will pass your thoughts on to her.
Good to hear your wifes home, please wish her a speedy recovery

Good to hear your wifes home, please wish her a speedy recovery
Thanks Fred. I will

And I've made progress on my knife. I've glued up and am currently shaping the handle. It's beginning to look like a knife shaped object finally. I've also made progress on the sheath.
I'll post progress photos later tonight.

Back