2015 Knifemaker Christmas Gift Exchange

I got my package yesterday from Fred. It's a new piece of equipment, I just don't know how to use it yet. Fred made me a new platen for my grinder. It's covered in a thick piece of felt. I'm assuming it's a finishing platen, and I bet it will work great with a gator belt. Fred, could you give me some suggestions on how to properly use it (ie. belt speed, pressure etc.)? I'm really looking forward to trying it out. I love a new toy!

Jess it is a finishing platen , it has a dense 3/8 felt attached and I use mine on my higher grit belts to get out those pesky little divots that occur at times as well as cleaning up the plunge lines and any other use you can come up with . I run the belt speed at about 2/3s my grinding speed but I think you will find the speed for you through a little trial and hopefully very little error.

Jess it is a finishing platen , it has a dense 3/8 felt attached and I use mine on my higher grit belts to get out those pesky little divots that occur at times as well as cleaning up the plunge lines and any other use you can come up with . I run the belt speed at about 2/3s my grinding speed but I think you will find the speed for you through a little trial and hopefully very little error.

Thanks Fred, I can't wait to try it.

When I came home from celebrating my wife's birthday, there was a very nice package in my mailbox from Chris Taylor. After I opened it, all I could say to myself was WOW!!!! What a great surprise. I can't thank you enough Chris. You made my day, and y'all can look forward to seeing it as a finished product soon that I'll make out of some of this stuff.
Inside the box were scales of acrylic, bacote, osage orange, black mesquite and bubinga, a piece of 440C, a set of black spacers and brass pins and tube.
Knife Dogs rock, you're the best bunch of friends an old farm boy like me could have. Merry Christmas to everyone.

View attachment 57531
I'm glad you like it Jim! I hope you can use the 440C. If you need a hand heat treating it let me know. I'll gladly help out.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Things have been crazy but on Monday I got an awesome package from Darren sanders, curly hickory, bocote, and Osage orange scales! Thanks so much Darren! I can't wait to throw it on a knife! I am so glad to participate, knifemakers are the coolest guys around. Merry Christmas!
4ee42dc99e0cfd26ff1de23419d3bb5c.jpg

Windriverwild.com
Instagram - windriverwild

Jess
Thank you so much for getting this gift exchange up and for all the hard work you put into this. It has truly been a blessing to me and I know many more. Merry Christmas to you and to all. Ed

Back